1. For filters/playlists, current view setting options are misleading since now switching views constantly updates the initially saved view setting. Change it to "default" and "custom", plus the list of custom views created by the user.
Maybe this could even be removed from settings entirely? Just start with the current main library view and have a note somewhere in the settings about which view is being used/what happens if you change it.
2. When a new filter is created, its column set is inherited from the default view of library node instead of from default view of playlists. Likewise, when you change its view setting to custom, its column set shouldn't change and then you can start editing it to your liking.
I agree, if you change a view to have its own unique settings, there shouldn't be any changes applied until you start making them.
Currently, if you change the view setting to any of the three non-default views, it gets column set from default-view playlists instead of default-view library nodes. Because of that, you can't make any changes to initial column set with any library nodes, and that has to be done by editing column set of either defaut-view static playlists or auto-DJ node.
Yes, initial views should come from the main library, maybe even only from the unfiltered main library. That's a little tough, because I can see it would be hard for MB to figure out what the initial configuration should be when one of those is chosen.
3. As you admitted, artwork view is the only exception to this unique-view-settings-per-node handling. Hence, disable "Copy current view settings to" command under panel layout button when artwork view is selected. That custom view doesn't do anything and is simply misleading.
This makes sense. It seems like sort/group by settings are retained in the custom view, but if that's all then maybe each filter/playlists could save its own settings for that, rather than bothering with custom views.
- any changes to fields for those views only affect that playlist/ filter
- custom views always use the fields from the custom view and any changes to fields affects that custom view
- i realise thats not consistent but having unique fields to a playlist/ filter has been that way since day one and i cant change it now
I don't think this is too confusing. I would expect that if I have a "generic" view enabled that it wouldn't necessarily apply changes to another view, but that if it's a specific, saved view it would retain changes everywhere. It might help if there were some note of explanation about it, though.
(I'll try to update the wiki soon. These changes might catch a few people off guard, but I think it's a huge improvement overall. Thank you!)