Author Topic: Can MusicBee use MBPicard Last.FM Plus custom tags Occasion, Track Decade etc.?  (Read 3602 times)

jackhulk

Hello

First off, MusicBee looks great, so big thanks to Steven for sharing!  :)

I'm currently tagging my music collection properly for the first time, so can then finally use a library/filters etc. I'm currently testing various music players to see which I like best, and found MusicBee continuously recommended, so here I am.

I tag using Musicbrainz Picard with Last.FM Plus plugin. This generates and populates additional tags from Last.FM...

MusicBee reads 'mood' tag just fine, but it's not picking up the 'Occasion' or 'custom' tags. How do I go about getting MusicBee to recognize these tags please?

Also does MusicBee use 'node's like that of MediaMonkey so I can browser by 'Mood', 'Occasions' etc?

Thank you
Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 07:45:14 PM by jackhulk

jackhulk

I figured it out with the help of this wiki...

http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Custom_Tags#save_to_music_file_as_tag

I guess this will apply to setting up other custom tags as well, and while the above wiki helped, I'm add my process step by step to help other newbies. In this example I will be using 'comment:Songs-DB_Custom1' (Track Decade).

1. First you need to identify the 'tag code'. Easy enough as MBee has a 'Tag Inspector' built in. Right click on track > edit > Tag Inspector (top of edit menu).

2. Find your custom tag, in this example it's 'COMM/Songs-DB_Custom1', note it down and 'Close' the edit pop up window.

3. 'MusicBee' menu (top left) > Edit > Preferences > Tag (1) > Define New Tags...

4. Identifier > Enter your custom tag name, in this example it's 'Track Decade'. id3 (,mp3): COMM/Songs-DB_Custom1 (or whatever you custom tag is as noted from Tag Inspector). Save.

5. custom tags > display name > 'Track Decade' > save to music file as tag > select 'Track Decade' from dropdown menu.

6. Apply > Save > Close

You can now add 'Track Decade' to columns and your custom tags will appear.  :)

So that's how I've got it working, but can a more experienced user confirm this is the correct procedure please?

One thing I can't figure out is why within the 'New Custom Tag Definition' does apeV2 automatically popular itself with 'Track Decade'? I only save to MP3, so have only filled in id3 field, with all the others (vorbis, mpeg etc) remaining blank... but apeV2 keeps automatically populating.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
If you want to.use MB's built in occasion tag, you can hack the last.fm plus files and replace "comm/custom..." with just OCCASION.  I did that for a custom location tag.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

jackhulk

Thanks psychoadept. I just followed my same procedure and added 'comment:Song-DB_Occassion' as custom tag and have it displayed as 'Occassions'.