Author Topic: skip silence [SOLVED}  (Read 4799 times)

MickyD

I am now using MusicBee version 2.5.5516 and all and all is well in my world

Thank you Steven

MusicBee 2.4.5404
Track “Adele – Chasing Pavements” ...length 2.28:200
Start time = 0:00
skip silence = 0:00.300
End time = 3:30.579
skip silence = 0:00.000
Preferences  are ... “smooth  fade..., dynamically normalise... and normalise volume... are the only preferences ticked under “sound affects”

With the track played with skipped timing (0:00.455 and 0:00.000) the track plays to its full length, i.e. not as manually shortened. However, play advance,  as expected, is not shown on the bottom bar.  The track plays as it should except that if I click anywhere along the advance bar the track restarts.  When I click advance MB moves to the next track in the play list.

When I manually time the track, to get the tight timing that I like, I reduce the track length to 3:27.579.
My thought ... if skip timing (start time) can acknowledge 3 hundredths of a second, why is it, in my case, the same produces 0:00.00 as the end time (Skip Silence)?
I would never change from using MusicBee because of what it offers me; I can manage as things are but hope that there is a solution to my problem.
Regards Mick

Edit
I should have mentioned that  has been an ongoing "problem" for quite a while.
Edit 2
The above also applies when "remove silence at start and end of track" is ticked or, it is not working in my case.
Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 03:33:17 PM by MickyD

Steven

• Administrator
did you try using values that exceed 1 second?

MickyD

I am not sure that I fully understand the question, for which I apologise, however when manually timing my tracks, I will use whatever value is required to obtain an almost gapless playback.  I assume that is the intention of remove silence at the start and end of track.

I hope the above makes some sense Steven, thank you for responding.
Mick

MickyD

I have reduced the track length in some cases by as much as 3/5 seconds, sometimes more.  In some cases this is been needed because of the studio fadeout, which can be very long.

From a little research, I have learned that human hearing cannot differentiate the change of perceived loudness of track as low as 1.5db (+/- up or down).  Therefore, studio fade out, which can be long, may be perceived as sound silent at the end.  This will require, deepening on just how “tight” I want my tracks, the reducing of the length of a track.

In none technical and none programming terms because I am not that technical and have no programming understanding, the program to remove silence from the beginning and end of a track is not a “listening tool” but a measuring “tool.”  I can see the almost “silent” parts of fade out using Audacity without the track playing.

What I would like to know when MusicBee removes silence at the start and end of a track, do either have to be of a specific length/value.  If my tracks do not reach that  value is that why when I use Edit/Settings and click  end time “skip silence”  I get a value of 0:00:000 when there is at least 3 seconds of silence.  If this is the case, why do I not get the same value when I click start time “skip silence” and get values as low as 0:00:331.

I am sure that this is not a normal event and even though I am not paranoid, I can accept that it may be happening to just me.  I am just hoping that in your armoury you have a tool, preferably not a hammer, or a fix to solve what I am experiencing.  It would certainly help me.

Regards
Mick

Steven

• Administrator
it can be really hard to determine silence as there can be tiny spikes above the silence threshold or a frequency you cant hear.
The "skip silence" button is just a helper. If you think there is more silence than the value populated in the tag editor box then edit the value more to your liking.
I am not sure how i can clarify the question i asked as it seems a very straight-forward question and i dont have the time or energy to try and extract the information from you so i will leave it at this.

MickyD

I can understand how busy you are that's why the next question is a yes ot no with no explanations  required.

Is it normal to get a value of 0:00:000 after clicking "skip silence" (end time(, when when there are at least 3 seconds of silence.

Mick