Author Topic: Windows Phone 8.1 Sync back playcount is not working, playlists are a problem  (Read 8206 times)

so_la_la

Hi,
I have a Lumia device and its interaction with MusicBee is not good. I am aware of the fact that this might have more to do with WP than with MB.
However, it has not synced back the playcount from the device, it only has updated the files (also leading to the erasure of the playcount on the device).
In addition the playlists have not synced, only the songs. This might have to do with ongoing problems with Xbox Music. The playlists were .pla-files. Last time they worked but they doubled with each syncing.
Anyway the overall experience is underwhelming.
Anybody any idea what to do?
Music Bee 3; EAC; MP3Tag; Music on Synology NAS 115; Logitech Media Server on RPI 3; RPI 2 with Hifiberry; Poweramp for Android/Lineage

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
For playcounts, I suggest using a scrobbler that can talk to Last.fm, and having MB update from Last.fm.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

so_la_la

For playcounts, I suggest using a scrobbler that can talk to Last.fm, and having MB update from Last.fm.
hmm, that's what i do.
I have ScrobbleMe and scrobbling through MB enabled.
But 1 there is sth not quite working with ScrobbleMe though it usually turns out to be alright and 2 I always find it a bit poor having two devices at home next to each other on the desk who can talk to each other via Internet only...
Music Bee 3; EAC; MP3Tag; Music on Synology NAS 115; Logitech Media Server on RPI 3; RPI 2 with Hifiberry; Poweramp for Android/Lineage

so_la_la

I'm curious, what playlist format are you using? m3u or pla?

Last time I used .pla. I am currently formatting my sdcard so I don't know which format I will go for. See also here:
http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=13226.msg79934#msg79934

so_la_la

So I have a new sd-card formatted it and copied the old card's folder structure to the new one.
Then i updated the files using the syncs option of musicbee and added a couple of new ones.
However, most playlists are displayed as empty. I don't know what am I gonna do?
Windows Phone is such a nightmare when it comes to playlists...

Steven

• Administrator
if you are using the native MTP format .PLA, you can see the playlist files by right clicking on the .PLA file in windows explorer/ and view the references tab.
There is no file content like normal playlists

so_la_la

if you are using the native MTP format .PLA, you can see the playlist files by right clicking on the .PLA file in windows explorer/ and view the references tab.
Hi, what I meant was that in the XBox Music app (and in MixRadio) the playlists are shown as having zero files. The explorer does not show them at all although they have been ticked in the device settings pane in MB. 
What I am currently trying to do is a resync after having manually deleted all playlists in the XBox Music app.
It should not take long as no files need to be added/deleted but MB is taking almost an hour (32gb sd-card with 20gb of music).

so_la_la

As it took so long with the .pla-playlist files I aborted the process and installed the version that enables .wpl-files.
But this too takes really long +1h just to scan the phone...

so_la_la

ok, so it's been syncing for two hours now and it has completed 6% - without the need to actually copy any files.
All I sync are playlists whose files are already on the phone.

so_la_la

It is STILL syncing (64%). I can't believe it.
Time to buy an iPhone and use iTunes??? What is wrong with Windows Phone? How on earth could MS ever wreck the WP music experience so thoroughly?

ImagoX

I have a Lumia 1020 and am switching to MB because I just got an Android tablet and was HOPING I'd also be able to sync my WinPhone as well using the app - now I have doubts. Up till now I've always synced my WinPhone using the playlists I made in iTunes back when I had a iPhone - that was great until I reloaded my PC and hosed my iTunes library. Before that, it was getting really balky with sync ever since the 8.1 "upgrade".

Have you tried syncing with iTunes using a playlist? It worked pretty good for me, at least it DID before 8.1.

Sorry I can't help you with using MB to sync - I'll be following this thread to see if you get it working. HOPE you do - I loathe iTunes and was really hoping to be able to scrap the %$#@! thing...   

so_la_la

Every time I try to sync the phone I am having problems and the final advice in any forum is always: Reformat your SD-card - what I end up doing.
I seriously consider using xbox music to sync as far as this is possible. Seems like MS is forcing you to use their cloud software...

ImagoX

Last I checked the only way to sync a WinPhone is to use the Windows Phone Desktop Software, which (again, the last time I checked) does not have the ability to make playlists and manage music all on it's own - it actually uses iTunes (which is pretty lame when you think about it). Be sure to LMK what you find out...

so_la_la

Well Musicbee DID work on and off and I think most of the fault really lies with Windows Phone.
I had the card reformatted and tried to sync but after an hour or so I had 1%. So I aborted the process hoping that maybe MusicBee would allow to sync the sd-card when plugged directly into the PC but MB will not detect it. One "problem" I have is of course that my music is on my NAS so the path is NAS Wlan Notebook USB Windows Phone. Yesterday however I had a LAN connection and it still was terrible. I put the speed problems down to Windows Phone too.
I wish I could plug the phone directly into my NAS.
It's also a drag because there is no way to really purge the xboxmusic file system on your phone.