Author Topic: better results for auto-tagging albums from freedb  (Read 3659 times)

hiccup

The auto-tag by album function often gives no, or incorrect results when looking up the freedb database.
When I compare that to Tag&Rename checking freedb, T&R gives far more and better results.
I believe that T&R looks at the number of tracks and the duration of the tracks, and than offers usually very good matches. (and very fast)
T&R's looking up freedb will even give good results with missing or incorrect album and track names. The only requirement is that the tracks are in the correct album order.

Could this be implemented in MB?

Steven

• Administrator
can you give me some specific examples so i can check what is going on
album, artist and perhaps track title if you are using that field in tag&Rename

hiccup

No problem.

An example to illustrate what I assume to be a difference between MusicBee and Tag&Rename in searching FreeDB;

Even when I try to match an album inTag&Rename that has all tags removed (but with all the tracks in the correct order), I often still get very good results. I guess this indicates that T&R then searches FreeDB by number of tracks and track durations on that album.

When I try the same album with MusicBee, I only get completely irrelevant results.

This feature is extremely convenient for classical albums in general, albums that have different release version for different continents, varying 'deluxe' editions with bonus tracks, etc. etc.

Two screenshots that shows these different results:

If you want I can easily pm you a link to this specific album, but I'm sure you can replicate this yourself.
Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 06:38:34 PM by hiccup

Steven

• Administrator
ok, that wasnt what i thought you meant. I was aware foobar provided a similar function but rejected doing it because there shouldnt be any need for it going forward with modern ripping tools looking up web services to retrieve tags at the time tracks are ripped.
I would need to see some +1's for me to implement this

hiccup

I would need to see some +1's for me to implement this

Fair enough.
Hopefully some others familiar with Tag&Rename can confirm what a great improvement for a lot of albums this would be.