Author Topic: covers from folder.jpg  (Read 6598 times)

BeRu

Hallo all,

in a previous installation of MusicBee I set (tagged) the album cover (artwork) for hundreds of albums via the folder.jpg in the same directory as the music files. After new installation (at a different PC) the artwork does not appear anymore although the file path is identical.
Is there a way to have the old image access recovered?

any help appreciated,

Bernhard

Steven

• Administrator
tick folders.jpg in the Tags(1)/ Artwork retrieval settings

BeRu

unclnis

tick folders.jpg in the Tags(1)/ Artwork retrieval settings

Thanks Steven, that helped me out as well :-)
Any reason this is not enabled by default? Is there a way that's considered better to store artwork/albumart?

Thanks,
Tom

Zak

• Global Moderator
Any reason this is not enabled by default? Is there a way that's considered better to store artwork/albumart?
As a guess, I'd say it's because Windows Media Player automatically saves its crappy little album thumbnails with the name "Folder.jpg", and doesn't always play well with other kids. In theory, someone could spend a lifetime saving high-quality artwork in MusicBee then accidentally launch WMP and lose it all. It's unlikely, sure, but why risk it when MusicBee can use any name you choose?

What's "better" really comes down to personal preference and how you use your music.

Most devices and mobile apps I've seen have different naming expectations when looking for artwork, but will work if the art is embedded in the file itself. On the other hand, if an album has 20 tracks, and you have a nice high-res 1MB cover image, is it worth an extra 20MB of disk space to embed that in each file? You could make a separate low-res version to embed, but is that worth the extra hassle?  ???
Bee excellent to each other...

BeRu

Hello all,

a couple years ago I asked the quation below on the retrieval of artwork from the the folder.jpg.
The following setting was suggested and worked:
"tick folders.jpg in the Tags(1)/ Artwork retrieval settings"

However, now (recent version of Music Bee) I cannot find that option anymore. What to do  :( ?

thanks in advance,

Bernhard

Hallo all,

in a previous installation of MusicBee I set (tagged) the album cover (artwork) for hundreds of albums via the folder.jpg in the same directory as the music files. After new installation (at a different PC) the artwork does not appear anymore although the file path is identical.
Is there a way to have the old image access recovered?

any help appreciated,

Bernhard

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
a couple years ago I asked the quation below on the retrieval of artwork from the the folder.jpg.
The following setting was suggested and worked:
"tick folders.jpg in the Tags(1)/ Artwork retrieval settings"

It's still there, it's just labelled with the (much clearer, I hope) name "set which pictures are displayed"
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)