Author Topic: recover library  (Read 3707 times)

GrahamL

Hi
I moved my on Nas Library using MB's built in routine, all appeared to be ok
Today after a restart of both Pc & Nas MB cant find 'the source file for track' (any track) it asks do i want to locate the track, but presumably i'd have to do that for all tracks - far to many

I looked at 'Re scan' and re scan files in library but get a return saying 6,172 files no longer exist at expected location, do i want to delete them - would think not

how do i recover

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Try using the Remap Folders command (File > Advanced) to point MB to the correct location.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

GrahamL

Life saver 'scampbll' - well if not life then definitely saver of a load of time

Thanks for that

Storris

Apologies for reviving an old thread but I just had a similar, but much more severe problem.

I decided to change the drive letter of my data drive from 'D:' to 'A:'.  I thought nothing more about this for a while, but the next time I started MB, I was told that some tracks were not in the correct place.  Looking through the list I saw that all the 'dead' 'D:' links were duplicated in 'A:', so after re-scanning it ought, I thought, to be safe to delete those missing links;

"Sort -> Ctrl+A -> Delete", But they weren't <i>just</i> links...

The result was that 75% of my music files disappeared instantly.  I'm a big fan of CCleaner and RemoveEmptyDirectories, so by the time I had traced the problem back to my drive letter change, there was nothing left to recover.

Thankfully the file-tree  and 2 to 3 tracks from each album/disc were saved allowing me to rebuild,  I presume some were saved by my attempts to 'rescan' the library beforehand, but I'm not sure.  On the downside, the next day, thepiratebay was taken down, so it's going to take a while.

To be certain of not making the same mistake again, I recommend a clean uninstall/re-installation of MusicBee, rather than re-scanning the library, just to make sure.
Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 08:05:48 PM by Storris

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
I decided to change the drive letter of my data drive from 'D:' to 'A:'. 

This is never a good idea.  Despite floppy disks being a thing of the past, Windows still has issues when assigning the A: and B: drives originally set aside for them.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Zak

• Global Moderator
"Sort -> Ctrl+A -> Delete", But they weren't <i>just</i> links...
I'm pretty sure MusicBee would have asked that point if you wanted to just remove the tracks from your library or delete the actual files. Also seems strange it would have deleted the tracks from A: if you had selected the tracks from D:, but that might be related to this:

Despite floppy disks being a thing of the past, Windows still has issues when assigning the A: and B: drives originally set aside for them.
Bee excellent to each other...