Author Topic: 2.5 (beta) as Portable  (Read 2842 times)

KyleHx

I don't see anything about portable for the 2.5 (beta).
Can anyone tell me something?
I'm trying to clean up the entire installation of MB,
and this would help a lot - cutting down drastically
on the different locations for things.

Zak

• Global Moderator
Just install the latest portable version from the download page.
Then download and extract the files in the 2.5 beta zip file into the same installation folder, overwriting any files with the same name.
The patch only includes the updated files and can't be run or installed on its own.
Bee excellent to each other...

KyleHx

So, ignore the "MusicBeeSetup_2_5_RC2.exe" file from the "Latest Version" forum?

Zak

• Global Moderator
I didn't realise the Release Candidate was the version you were referring to, but trying it now I'm not sure there's a way to install that version as portable.

If you install the portable version from the Download link at the top of the page, and then unzip the file from here into your MusicBee folder:

http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Latest_Update

you'll then have a portable installation of the most recent version.

The only changes released lately have been to fix random bugs, so any version from the last few months will be more or less the same.
Bee excellent to each other...

KyleHx

I am also in the middle of a run through, doing what you suggested before (a portable installation of 2.4, followed by overwriting the files in that install with the ones downloaded for the 2.5-Beta stuff).  I will keep an eye out here.

In the meantime, can you tell me what files are actually supposed to be different between a standard and a portable installation?
I've found all the .INIs and checked all contents, to make sure I pick up everything pointed to, and I've been going through the old standard install for ref's like registry entries .. but it'd sure be nice to have a simple list of those files that are specifically changed for a portable installation.

Steven

• Administrator
the resulting installation files are exactly the same other than the portable installation creating the settings file as a sub-folder of where the program is located - this tells MB to run in portable mode so all settings files/ cached artwork etc are located in a sub-folder of where MB is installed.