Author Topic: Question for Steven - legality of ripping music in "MusicBee"  (Read 2825 times)

FBee

Hello everybody, hello Steven,

I have a question to the programmer of "MusicBee", since I believe that he knows the proper answer for he has created the program :-)

In Germany, it is allowed to rip music from CD to mp3 (which is a good function in MusicBee). The thing is that I want to "stay legal" doing this. This would only be the case if MusicBee wouldn't avoid a given copy protection on the CD (in Germany, it isn't allowed to fool a copy protection).

So my question is: Does MusicBee use any kind of function in the background which is programmed for "cracking" audio-CDs in order to rip them, or doesn't it use such functions and is only dependent on what the recorder of the PC is able to read?

In the second case, I could perfectly fine use it in Germany to archive my CDs on my PC. Since this function is something in the "background" and inside the code of the program, I thought that only the programmer himself is able to answer, but, for sure, everyone else can also contribute :-)

Thank you!

Steven

• Administrator

FBee

Okay, thank you very much, Steven. In this case, I will simply download the lame encoder and rip my CDs :-)

One last question: Would there be an error message if there was a copy-protection? My first conclusion after your statement would be: "Yes" :-) It would be great to have this last question clatified :-) Thank you so much!

FBee

For sure, I also welcome answers of other members here, if there is an error message ripping a protected CD. Unfortunately, I cannot test it at the moment, but perhaps others now what happens when trying to copy a protected CD - simply a non-working ripping process or an error message?