Author Topic: playlists and file paths  (Read 4077 times)

SHODAN

hi MusicBee forums,

I have a very large music collection spanning multiple external hard-drives. I want to keep my files organized by genre. I might store all my soul/funk and disco on one drive, all my jazz and heavy metal on another drive. but eventually, the jazz/metal drive becomes full

so I move all my jazz to a new drive and keep the old drive dedicated to heavy metal. OK, now there is plenty of empty space on each drive for new jazz and metal albums. problem is, how do I preserve my playlists that included jazz tracks? all the files paths will change. MusicBee won't recognize them anymore.

is this unavoidable? or can I make MusicBee rescan a new drive specifically for those missing jazz tracks in my playlists?

I read that MusicBee can preserve music library files when the drive letter changes, so long as the directory structure of the drive remains the same. is there a way to preserve playlists using this feature?

by the way, all my playlists stored as mbp files. how do mbp files differ (if at all) from m3u files when it comes to playlists/file paths?

really appreciate any suggestions. thanks!
Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 06:43:04 PM by SHODAN

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Welcome to the forum!

My first suggestion is to use MusicBee for moves as much as possible.  That way it won't lose track of the paths at all.  There have been improvements recently to organization across multiple drives.  But I'm not sure if that helps with a strictly "Send To > Folder" command.

If you're not able to do that, then the Remap Folders function (File > Advanced) should do the trick for changing file paths.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

SHODAN

hi scampbll,

thanks for the welcome and the great suggestions :)

I didn't realize you could move files inside MusicBee! that was much more straight-forward than I imagined. cheers buddy!

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Glad to help!  :)
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)