Author Topic: How to sync MB library/playlists to iPod/iPhone using iTunes  (Read 35395 times)

redwing

MB does not support direct-syncing to iDevices with iOS higher than 3.11. You need to use either iTunes or "iPod & iPhone Driver" plugin (http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=10634.0). This guide covers how to sync using iTunes.

What You Need - iTunes

You will need first install the latest version of iTunes. But never set iTunes to auto-organize your music files, which will cause MB to keep looking for missing files constantly. Just like MB, iTunes is, by default, not auto-organizing your music files, only referencing them to its database file from their original location. Make sure the top two options under iTunes main menu> Edit> Preferences> Advanced are not ticked. Then it won't copy or move your music files. Also tick "prevent auto sync" option under Preferences> Devices, to control manually what to sync to your iDevice.

Library Sync

To sync the entire MB library, you will need import MB library to iTunes first. There are two ways of doing this. One is exporting MB library file to iTunes, and the other is adding your music files folders to iTunes. The difference is that some fields saved in MB database such as ratings (optional) and play count will be imported to iTunes only through the former method.
- For the former, consult "How to export MB library to iTunes" guide (http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=11800.0) and use iTunes's File> Library> Import Playlist command, selecting MB-created "iTunes Music Library.xml" file.
- For the latter, use iTunes's File> Add Folder to Library command and select your music files folders.
- Then connect your iDevice and select the device from left sidebar. Now choose Music tab from the main window, tick "Sync Music" and choose either "Entire library" or "Selected playlists, etc." Clicking on "Apply" button at the bottom will start syncing the selected songs to your iDevice.
- If you want to keep the entire library in iTunes, you will need to update the database file from time to time. To update library, you can repeat either of the same two methods mentioned above depending on your purpose. Note that repeating either method won't create any duplicate music files in iTunes library but the former method (importing library file) will duplicate all MB playlists.

Playlists Sync

If keeping iTunes library updated feels cumbersome and you don't want to sync the entire library, you can only import playlist(s) to sync.
- First you will need to create exported playlists for iTunes to be able to read and import them. Open MB and right click on the playlists you want to sync> Edit playlist > tick "automatically export a static copy" option to create m3u type playlists under your Library/Exported playlists.
- Then open iTunes and delete all tracks from iTunes library.
- From iTunes, File> Library> Import playlist, and select the exported playlist from MB's library folder. Then only tracks in the playlist will be imported to iTunes library without copying or moving of actual files.
- Now you can sync your iTunes music library to your iDevice.
- Whenever you want to sync a new playlist, repeat the steps above by deleting all tracks from iTunes library.

xbliss

My laptop SSD has limited space and I'd rather not store lot of Music or Videos on it.

I'd like to keep all my Music on External Drives and managed them via Music Bee, which would be the "organizer" of the MEDIA on External disk and for the Playlists & other manipulation that needs to be done to Sync Files to iPhone (iOS 711/712 - Jailbroken) (via iTunes).

I do not wish iTunes to store MUSIC or VIDEO files inside it, since the APPS are already taking enough space.

Currently all my Music is on external drive and iPhone is empty.

Can this be done? If so, how?

PS: If the same can be done to manage VIDEO as well using some other program like Music Bee I'd love to know.

rwogh

I got two iPods to sync with this.  One synced a specific playlist and the other synced as much of my library as it could.

However, when I reconnected my 'specific playlist' iPod, none of the play count/last played info is updated.  Is there a trick here or is that not possible?  Also, when I add more songs to the specific playlist and sync, those songs aren't added now.

iTunes wants to restore the iPod now as well...
Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 02:55:59 AM by rwogh

BrianMuir

Is it possible to send individual tracks or albums to iPhone/iPod? I currently accomplish this with MediaMonkey but would like to ditch it in favor of MusicBee...
thanks

redwing

Is it possible to send individual tracks or albums to iPhone/iPod?

No way to directly sync from MB to iDevices (except old iPods). You always have to use iTunes.
To sync specific tracks, use "Add file/folder to Library" command from iTunes to add individual tracks to iTunes library and then sync to your iDevice using iTunes.

BrianMuir

Bummer. MediaMonkey Gold can transfer to and delete files from iDevices using Apple iPhone driver; does not require user to interact with iTunes.
I prefer MusicBee in all other aspects. I'd guess I'll stick to MM for phone transfer and use MB for managing the library.  Thanks for clarifying.

redwing

MediaMonkey Gold can transfer to and delete files from iDevices using Apple iPhone driver; does not require user to interact with iTunes.

iPod & iPhone driver plugin intended to do the same thing, but it no longer works for iPhones. So for syncing to iPhones, using iTunes is the only option for MB.

redwing

This thread is now locked. If you have any questions or comments, please use General Portable Devices sub-forum.
Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 06:51:05 PM by phred