Author Topic: imported Tracks get copied to Music Bee Folder  (Read 4414 times)

jujubee

I recently transferred from iTunes to Music Bee. My entire iTunes library was imported, so the files are still in their original location. However, any new files I added were added to a new MusicBee Folder, which I'm fine with.

My problem is this: a few of my old files could be found in the new music bee folder, when I clearly asssumed that they would just be placed in the music folder as some xml import file. Specifically, these few songs that were imported were some songs that I played recently.

Is there an off or preference to stop this from happening? I don't want to clutter my new music bee folder with files that are already in my old folder.

Edit: I just turned on iTunes and found out that the songs were not copied, their folder destination were in fact transferred to the new music bee folder.
Is there a fix for this?

Also, when adding new files to the music bee library, the files appear as 1 - 01 - song title, 1 - 02 - song title...
Does anyone know how to get rid of the "1" at the start of the track title? I'm guessing it has something to do with tags and library organization, but I can't figure it out.

Thanks! :)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Welcome to the forum!

If you look in your Library Preferences, do you have "auto-organize" enabled?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

jujubee

Thank you for the immediate reply  ;D

Yes, I do have that checked, although I'm not entirely sure how ticking it modifies the way my files are stored.

Should I uncheck it?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
If you don't want MusicBee to move your files, yes.

As the name suggests, Auto-Organize organizes your files for you, based on a template that you can configure.  For instance, the "1-01" that you're seeing is the result of <Disc-Track#> being used in the template.

Here's some more info: http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Organizing
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

jujubee

Ok, thanks!

Hmmm. I made a mistake. I tried to change the naming template so that future files would be added without the extra one, but I chose the wrong tags. But that's the least of my problems. Now, when I add folders, or songs, they don't appear in one folder (under an album folder) in the music bee folder as before. My music's all scattered now in the music bee folder  :-[

Basically, is there any way to:
1. remove the extra 1 (through changing naming templates)
2. without having to move the entire library (there seems to be no way to untick it in auto organization; i want to keep my old files  in case i revert back to iOs
3. and when you drag a new folder of an album, it gets stored as a folder too in the music bee music folder.

Thank you :)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I think the answer to all three problems is yes.  :)

I suggest this:

1. Untick auto-organize if you haven't already.
2. For files which are currently in the MusicBee folder (which you can find by searching Path, or by using the computer node), select them and use the right command Send To > Folder (Move) > Organized Folder.
3. Set up the template there to your liking.  You can probably use the default template, only substitute <Track#> for <Disc-Track#>.  If you need more help with templates, a screenshot of the organize screen and an example of what you want the result to be would help.

Beware that iTunes may reorganize them all again when you add them back there.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

jujubee

Thanks for the reply.

Hmmm. Basically, I want it to be structured in such a way that when I want to add files to music bee, it adds to the new music bee folder, but I want to keep my old files where they previously are.

I realized that I can change the naming template and just uncheck everything in the autoorganize option, but there seems to be no select all text box for selecting all. It would be very tedious to get them all unchecked.

Now when I add songs in the music bee library, it just appears as numbers and numbers. 01 - 2, 01 -3, 01 4

redwing

I don't think it's a good idea to turn on auto-organization for both MB and iTunes.
I assume your files are properly tagged, then why don't you exit MB after turning off the option and let iTunes re-organize those files as that's how you want them organized?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hmmm. Basically, I want it to be structured in such a way that when I want to add files to music bee, it adds to the new music bee folder, but I want to keep my old files where they previously are.

This is what turning off auto-organize will do for you. Get the new tracks organized with the manual "send to" command (which also uses a template). once you're sure that you have a template you like, you can turn on "automatically sweep and organize new files" under library preferences, which will affect ONLY new files, as you say.

I realized that I can change the naming template and just uncheck everything in the autoorganize option, but there seems to be no select all text box for selecting all. It would be very tedious to get them all unchecked.

Don't use auto-organize at all. even if you were to go to the effort of unchecking everything, they would still be moved when you make changes to the files later.

Now when I add songs in the music bee library, it just appears as numbers and numbers. 01 - 2, 01 -3, 01 4

as I said, if you want help with your template a screenshot is needed.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)