Author Topic: iTunes import is incomplete, missing play count and ratings  (Read 5677 times)

orangeclockwork

When I first tried to import my iTunes library by scanning my iTunes folder, only a few thousand songs (from artists starting with A and B) successfully imported. There was no indication of error during the scanning process, however the import was incomplete.

Next I tried "Import From Library>Import from iTunes" and selected my iTunes Library.xml. This time the rest of my library was imported but all the new songs did not have certain metadata such as play count and rating. So currently in my MusicBee library, only the songs from artists starting with A and B have play count and rating.

Is there a solution to my problem? Perhaps I should try to physically embed my play count and ratings into the file itself—is there a way to do this?

Thanks for your help.

redwing

When I first tried to import my iTunes library by scanning my iTunes folder, only a few thousand songs (from artists starting with A and B) successfully imported. There was no indication of error during the scanning process, however the import was incomplete.

Next I tried "Import From Library>Import from iTunes" and selected my iTunes Library.xml. This time the rest of my library was imported but all the new songs did not have certain metadata such as play count and rating. So currently in my MusicBee library, only the songs from artists starting with A and B have play count and rating.

Are you sure you didn't try to import from iTunes Library.xml first, and then just scanned the files?

orangeclockwork

Are you sure you didn't try to import from iTunes Library.xml first, and then just scanned the files?

When you first create a MusicBee library, you have to designate the music folder you want to scan, right? I selected my iTunes folder, not .xml file. The first time it only imported about 2000 songs.

I've just tried this process again with two new MusicBee libraries. This time all the songs were imported but strangely, a few hundred songs have ratings but none have play counts. I'm quite baffled.

I'm not sure if I messed up my initial import but I'm still stuck with basically the same problem—incomplete metadata—after creating two new libraries.

redwing

So what happened when you tried to import from the xml file the second time?

orangeclockwork

So what happened when you tried to import from the xml file the second time?

Only a few hundred songs got their play counts. Incidentally these were songs from artists starting with A and B...same as before. The options I selected were "overwrite rating and play counts only" and "add to the Library"

redwing

OK, that must be what originally happened first. Probably the only way to import ratings and play count properly from iTunes is importing through the library file.

Now have a look at this thread: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=11079.0

The user had a similar issue as yours, but after deleting a node with an invalid character from the library file all tracks got imported successfully along with those fields. So you might want to look at the library file to fix the issue yourself. If it stops again somewhere else, you will need to repeat the process.

orangeclockwork

It worked! After painstakingly going through my Library.xml file I was able to identify the invalid character and delete it. Everything appears to be in proper working order now  :D

Thanks so much or your help!

redwing

That's great! And thanks for reporting back. This will be useful to other users with the same issue.