Author Topic: Using MB's file format converter: some questions  (Read 3645 times)

Skoop

I want to convert a bunch of .wavs to .flac.  To decrease file size and to get some tag issues under control.  I understand that .flac handles tags with more stability/predictability.  No?

Is the MB converter a good tool for this?  Are there any sound quality or fidelity issues that would result from using it?  I'd be converting to .flac for archiving purposes.

I'm using the final version of MB 2.1.

What would you recommend for the following settings, and why?

*Permanently adjust volume
tracks or album?

*Output to the source file folder
or
*Replace the source file?  -Is this a fail-proof operation?  Once it was done, if I had both file versions, I suppose that I could then go on to delete the .wavs. 

*Add converted files to inbox
Why would I do this if I sent the output directly to the source folder?

Pingaware

I want to convert a bunch of .wavs to .flac.  To decrease file size and to get some tag issues under control.  I understand that .flac handles tags with more stability/predictability.  No?

Yes it does, particularly in such an old MB version as you use.

Is the MB converter a good tool for this?  Are there any sound quality or fidelity issues that would result from using it?  I'd be converting to .flac for archiving purposes.

Yes MB's a good tool, and no, there shouldn't be any quality issues. MB uses the flac standard and thus it's still a perfect lossless file.

I'm using the final version of MB 2.1.

There may have been some bugs to do with the format converter that have been fixed since that version, but my advice is just try it and see. I know you're resistant to upgrading.

What would you recommend for the following settings, and why?

*Permanently adjust volume
tracks or album?

I wouldn't. ReplayGain does the same job and doesn't involve modifying the audio streams.

*Output to the source file folder
or
*Replace the source file?  -Is this a fail-proof operation?  Once it was done, if I had both file versions, I suppose that I could then go on to delete the .wavs.

I've personally always used replace the source file, and have never had any issues.

*Add converted files to inbox
Why would I do this if I sent the output directly to the source folder?

If you're converting files that are already in your library and that you are already happy with the tag state of, then yes, this option is more or less redundat.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

Zak

• Global Moderator
Is the MB converter a good tool for this?  Are there any sound quality or fidelity issues that would result from using it?  I'd be converting to .flac for archiving purposes.
MusicBee isn't actually doing the converting - it's just acting as a GUI for the flac.exe application (which you'll find in your MusicBee\codec folder). As such, your converted FLAC files will be exactly the same as created by almost every other program which do the same.

MusicBee 2.1 probably came with FLAC 1.2.1 - you can upgrade to FLAC 1.3.0 by replacing flac.exe with the new version available here: http://www.rarewares.org/lossless.php
Bee excellent to each other...

Skoop

my advice is just try it and see.
After making an external copy of all the files.wav, I did and it worked as expected.

I've personally always used replace the source file, and have never had any issues.
Neither did I.  And I left volume adjustment alone.  I can't hear any sound difference.

If you're converting files that are already in your library and that you are already happy with the tag state of
Everything was there and tagged, but I wasn't entirely happy.  That's why I was looking to convert.  If, for example, I ever moved any of those files.wav to a different folder, weird things would happen.  Like the <Track Count> tag would blank out.  

Seems as though Windows operations on files.wav would foul up tags on some of them.  And I can't avoid that because I sync a couple of computers from a network share.  The sync operation would result in tag weirdness on the target PC, while the source would look fine.  

MusicBee 2.1 probably came with FLAC 1.2.1 - you can upgrade to FLAC 1.3.0 by replacing flac.exe with the new version available here: http://www.rarewares.org/lossless.php
In the properties sheet in tag editor for the converted files, it indicates that the files were encoded with "reference libFLAC 1.3.0 20130526", so it appears that MB 2.1 has the current version.  

Thank you both for your advice and info.  Much appreciated.