Author Topic: Artist Split  (Read 5986 times)

OwnDog

Is there an area in the config section to turn off this "Artist Split" feature? I'm getting tired of editing my artist Tags only to discover that this feature changes my edits (Virtually) giving me false duplicates.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Is there an area in the config section to turn off this "Artist Split" feature? I'm getting tired of editing my artist Tags only to discover that this feature changes my edits (Virtually) giving me false duplicates.

I'm not sure I understand the problem.  you're not referring to the multiple artist splitter screen, are you?  The only way I can think if that MusicBee splits artists"virtually" is if you enter them with a semicolon, which is the the the character that separates multiple artists if there's no display artist.

A screenshot might help if I'm totally off the mark.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Anti

Also, have you got the 'advanced search and replace' plugin installed?
Having one of the presets ticked is the only other way I can think that your edits are being changed automatically.

OwnDog

Yes I have the plugin and NO nothing is ticked.

Newly Ripped CD, then I go to edit tags by hitting

Ctrl+Shift+T And edit the resulting search. The usual culprits are the infamous "feat." artists. After "applying" my work I see that those featured artists are still lurking. So a CD that has 15 tracks and should show 1 artist & all of a sudden shows 5 or 6 etc  artists necessitating manually editing each affected track & deleting all those "feat." artists a second time via the "multiple artist splitter screen".

I understand the desire to represent featured artists in tags for a variety of reasons I just don't do it the way this wonderful program has evolved to handle that issue. I'd just like to turn that feature off so I can continue tagging "my way" as I have for the last dozen years or so.

Not a biggy just a nuisance.

Al

redwing

The plugin has "Remove all items from multi-item Artist except first one" preset. Why don't you try that one to remove all artists except the first one?

Steven

• Administrator
if you dont want to see the split artists, you can show the Album Artist in the column and thumbnail browsers

Anti

OwnDog, what are you actually writing in the artist field for it to be automatically split?

For me, only the semi-colon separator makes it happen automatically - for everything else I need to press the 'split' button manually. Eg. OwnDog (feat. Anti) does not automatically split.

OwnDog

OK, Thanks for the suggestions. I don't want any extra steps so running extra steps are non-starters. Album Artists Tag Doesn't work for other applications, it must be the "artist" tag. I guess it's my config so I'll keep poking around,I sure hope there is a way to shut it off. Thank You All.

Pingaware

Out of interest, what other applications does Album Artist not work for? It's a pretty standard tag these days.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

OwnDog