Author Topic: Using the track # of ## tag  (Read 4804 times)

Anti

Is there an automatic way to enter the 'of' tag?
Are there any good uses for this tag?

I've just been deleting it all these years, so I thought it was about time I found out about it.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
If your albums are complete, I think you can use Renumber Tracks to enter the total tracks.

MusicBee uses this number to determine the Album Complete? tag.  Other than that, it's just information like any other tag.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Pingaware

As scampbll said, it's best use is the Album Complete field. I have an auto-report which analyses this field and the playcounts of all the files in an album and tells me if I've listened to the album before or not.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

redwing

If you have lots of full albums, then copying "album track count" value to "track count" field could help the process. The problem is "album track count" field is not available for boroda74's plugin. You might want to ask him to add the field.

- First, create an auto-playlist with the rule of "Disc Count" "is less than" "2".
- Select all files in the playlist, go to Tools> Tagging Tools> copy tag, and copy "album track count" value to "track count" field.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator

If you have lots of full albums, then copying "album track count" value to "track count" field could help the process. The problem is "album track count" field is not available for boroda74's plugin. You might want to ask him to add the field.

- First, create an auto-playlist with the rule of "Disc Count" "is less than" "2".
- Select all files in the playlist, go to Tools> Tagging Tools> copy tag, and copy "album track count" value to "track count" field.

Renumber Tracks can do the same thing with less effort, including handling multi-disc albums.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

redwing

Renumber Tracks can do the same thing with less effort, including handling multi-disc albums.

That could help, but I wouldn't call it an automated way.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator

That could help, but I wouldn't call it an automated way.

How much more automated could it be?  Select tracks > run tool > make sure options are correct > done.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

redwing

Select how many tracks at a time? What if you have 500 albums to tag the field?

Anti

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to continue to delete that field and not use it.
I can't see much benefit for the additional maintenance.

> Select how many tracks at a time? What if you have 500 albums to tag the field?

You're both right...
If you use the 'reset for each disc' option, this method works fine if you like your multiple disks with reset numbering.
However most of my multiple disks have continuous numbering, so redwing's method suits that situation better.

redwing

Now I got what scampbll meant. I didn't know Renumber Tracks tool can be used even with different albums selected altogether as long as "reset for each disc" option is ticked. Yes, you're right. That's definitely automated way, superior to my suggestion.

However most of my multiple disks have continuous numbering, so redwing's method suits that situation better.

In that case, you don't need to create the auto-playlist because it's only needed when you want to exclude multi-disc albums though I know there's no use for you any more.