Author Topic: uhm how do i disable this "feature"  (Read 6471 times)

wavebave

i dont want my songs, albums, artists etc scattered around and changed into "unknown titles" and put into 1 folder ever again
idk what this feature is called or why its even there but i want to disable it and never see it again so how do i do it
Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 01:25:41 PM by wavebave

Alumni

Go to your preferences, and under the library tab de-select options "auto organize media files" and "automatically sweep and organize new files".

ma_t14

i dont want my songs, albums, artists etc scattered around and changed into "unknown titles" and put into 1 folder ever again
idk what this feature is called or why its even there but i want to disable it and never see it again so how do i do it

Was that feature enabled or did you enable it yourself?

Pingaware

Was that feature enabled or did you enable it yourself?

What ma_t14 really means is "This feature is not enabled by default".
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

ma_t14

Yes but there's more to that. I had another user swear that he did not enable this feature even though it's supposed to be disabled by default. If another member starts claiming the same, it might not really prove anything but surely it will warrant some investigation.

redwing

Maybe a line of warning or description is needed under the option (or a tooltip) to prevent such accidents:

"If ticked, your files will be renamed and moved to new folders as specified in your organization rule."

ma_t14

Maybe a line of warning or description is needed under the option (or a tooltip) to prevent such accidents:

"If ticked, your files will be renamed and moved to new folders as specified in your organization rule."

+1

Pingaware

+1

+1. Then I can feel less guilty about telling people they turned it on when they claim they didn't. (And better program usability too of course!)
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

Anti

The organiser is harmless if all the music is tagged properly and consistently.
But if a noob just ticks the box without thinking, they could end up with an irreversible mess.

I guess there should be a warning.

Perhaps the dialogue should open automatically when the option is ticked, so you can't enable the option
without also viewing the settings for it. The warning could them be in the 'organisation' dialogue, rather than
in the preferences -> library dialogue.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Perhaps the dialogue should open automatically when the option is ticked, so you can't enable the option
without also viewing the settings for it.

+1, and if you hit cancel on the dialogue the box is unticked (only if it wasn't ticked originally, of course)
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Steven

• Administrator
when you tick "auto-organise" a dialog opens up showing how the files would be re-organised so it should hardly be a surprise and I can only recall one person making the claim he never ticked the option.
It is intentional the setting stays ticked if the user closes the dialog without executing the re-org (so only future files will be organised). However for the next version i display a warning if the dialog is closed in this way.

redwing

I remember several people have asked in the forum what's wrong with their setup after ticking the option without knowing what it does. My opinion is putting the warning under the tickbox permanently would work better, keeping new users who are not ready for the setup from even ticking the box after reading the warning.

Anti

> when you tick "auto-organise" a dialog opens up showing how the files would be re-organised

Does it do that until you set-up the parameters for the first time?
The dialogue doesn't open when I enable auto-organise, but maybe that's because I have it set-up already?

wavebave

hi, yes this feature was enabled by default but now it's disabled.

thanks for the help guys !

Steven

• Administrator
hi, yes this feature was enabled by default but now it's disabled.
the setting is not enabled by default and the only reasons i can think of would be enabled by default is if you copied someones settings file or had musicbee installed by an external package installer where the person who created it enabled that setting