Author Topic: Tagging and renaming automatically one song at a time?  (Read 4110 times)

udubber83

Does anyone know if it is possible to tag and auto rename a file as I go through my library 1 song at a time?   My library is a mess, and I'm adding songs to a playlist, but am going through my songs 1 by 1 and tagging them, but then want the filename to be updated based on what I tagged it.  

From what I understand you can go into 'preferences' and click 'autoorganise files' BUT it does it to all files at once.  

Also, if this isn't possible, when I add a song to a playlist, but decide later to reorganise my filenames the playlist won't work anymore, correct?

thanks guys!

ps - I know I can change filenames manually but this is pretty tedious. Want to do it automatically but only 1 file at a time.

Pingaware

"Right Click - Send To>Folder Move>Organised Folder" will do the job. You can also create a toolbar button for this to speed up the process.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

udubber83

So this can't be done automatically (i.e. when I update my tags it also updates the filename)?

Thanks!
Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 12:50:36 AM by udubber83

Pingaware

Without turning auto-organise on, no.

And I just noticed the other question in your first post - if you change filenames through MB's interface, then playlists will be unaffected by it and will still work correctly.

udubber83

thanks.  I assume the filename has to stay in the same folder though, correct? 

Pingaware

Not at all - the entire path can change and MB will still update your playlists properly, so long as it's all done from within MB.

udubber83

Cool, thanks.   Guess I will just update tags now, sort them all into playlists and then autoorganise the music all at once instead one at a time.

Ulf

Personally,  I prefer a dedicated tagger, rather than an inbuilt one to tag my music collection.
As personal experience of MB over the last couple of years, has shown its inbuilt tagger can
make  one dogs dinner of some  lesser known tracks.  (then again, I don't let MB anywhere
near organising my music collection). It is an excellent player, but for the rest no-way...   but
that is a personal choice.

For tagging, I use TagScanner 5.1 and/or MusicBrainz Picard

Ulf

Pingaware

I personally wouldn't let an auto-tagger anywhere near my tracks - my tagging requirements are too awkward and specific, and letting an auto-tagger go at them would just result in me having to clear up after it anyway.

Steven

• Administrator
As personal experience of MB over the last couple of years, has shown its inbuilt tagger can
make  one dogs dinner of some  lesser known tracks.  (then again, I don't let MB anywhere
near organising my music collection).
its more useful if you can back up your statement with specific examples, including the enabled source web-sites, so they can be investigated and addressed if needed, instead of making emotive and vague slurs. The auto-tagging functionality and organiser have been in musicbee for years and used by a lot of people without problem. Auto-tagging results depend on results returned by the source web-site and there is interactive Auto-Tag by Album (allows singles as well) if you dont trust the results to be applied automatically.
If you persist in doing this i will ban you from the forum.