Author Topic: "calculate and write missing replay gain tags for new music files" not working  (Read 6317 times)

Skinjob

I've been looking at the best way to integrate R128 volume analysis into my ripping workflow and thought I'd give MB 2.4.5332 and the "calculate and write missing replay gain tags for new music files" option a try.

The hope here is that I could  just remove the old ReplayGain step I was doing during ripping and let MB do the new R128 automatically when it finds new files in my monitored folders.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work in 2.4.5332.  I tried a test with an existing FLAC album as follows:
- Make sure the "calculate and write missing replay gain tags for new music files" option is checked
- Delete an existing album from MB library and close MB
- Use MP3Tag to remove the replay gain tags from the album's FLAC files (completely remove the tags, not just the values)
- Start MB
- Shortly after startup MB will find the album and add it to the library, but it never adds the replaygain tags to the files

Am I missing something or is this currently not working?

redwing

It's working correctly when files are sent from inbox to library. But I don't know how it works when directly imported to library.

Skinjob

Good point.  I'm not using the inbox.  My files are already tagged/organized properly before I add them to MB, so I don't really need the extra step of the inbox.

redwing

I just tested the setting with direct-import-to-library setup. Regardless of file format (flac, mp3, m4a), all new files got automatically volume-analyzed and tagged with new RG tags. So I don't know why it's not working for you.

Skinjob

Thanks for checking that out.  I guess the good news is that MB should do exactly what I want, but I'm not sure what might be keeping it from working in my setup.

How are you adding the new files to MB?  I'm using "rescan at startup" and I've also tried manually rescanning, with the same result in both cases.  New files are recognized and added, but no volume analysis.

Is there any visual indication in the UI when the volume analysis happens on the new files?

When the new files appear in MB has the volume analysis already happened, or is there some delay after the files show up before the volume analysis is triggered?

Can you think of any other setting besides "calculate and write missing replay gain tags for new music files" that could affect this?

Again, thanks for the help.

redwing

My setup is a portable MB with auto-organized library. But I just did another test with 2.4 release candidate normal version with non-organized library, and, again, the setting worked perfectly.
So I have no idea why it's not working for you. No apparent visual indication, but if files are many, your CPU load gets high, and it would take some time before the new files appear in the library. Obviously you should check if they got the RG tags.
You might try to delete all RG related tags with MB's tag inspector instead of MP3tag to see if something's wrong with that step. And try to add new files to a monitored folder manually or use "add files" command to select the folder while MB is running.
Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 05:35:48 PM by redwing

Steven

• Administrator
for files that are detected on startup and moved straight to the library, the replay gain analysis is not done. I think that was missed by mistake on the assumption files would be moved to the Inbox first so tags could be corrected.
However i wont change that for v2.4

Skinjob

Thanks, Steven.  So at least I'm not crazy. :)

It would be nice in a future release if the volume analysis could always be done on new files, regardless of whether or not the inbox is used or how the files are added to the library (startup, continuous, manual, etc.).

I'll try using the inbox in the meantime.

Thanks again.

BTW - 2.4 is a really impressive release.  The UI enhancements and other changes are fantastic.

Steven

• Administrator
its intentional that files sent to the Inbox first are not analysed so that tags can be corrected first. However if they are scanned directly into the library then it should be done for all cases