Author Topic: Inbox VS Library  (Read 14058 times)

joeblow9104

Hello everyone!  My first post!!
First of all, I just got MusicBee after using iTunes for many years, and I'm really loving it.  Thanks to the devs and supporters...
Secondly, I'd like to ask - What's the diff between the Inbox and Library?  What's the advantage of using the Library?
Thanks for your time.

pietergdp

Your library is where your whole music library should be stored. The inbox is for new music added to your library. If you added all of your music to MB for the first time, it goes to your inbox.

joeblow9104

ok cool, thank you.
so what's the advantage?  just to have another place to store things before they're "official"?

Cyano

For me, I have a monitored folder where I drop new songs into. The new songs get added to the inbox.
I tag the new songs (Title, Artist, Album), add artwork to the song. Then move the song from the inbox to library.

It helps keep everything organised and I can keep the songs in the Inbox till I get a chance to tag the files.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Yeah, the main idea is to have a place to keep stuff that's not "ready" for the library.  Cyano's example is pretty typical.  I use to store things I haven't decided if I want to keep yet.  If ever get most of those out of the way, I may go back to using it for tagging workflow.

Edit: I've added a FAQ for this

http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ#What_is_the_Inbox.3F
Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 11:04:11 PM by scampbll
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

redwing

The main advantage of using inbox is you can make MB monitor multiple source folders for new files and manage them under the single inbox node no matter where they actually exist. So you don't have to open and manage each source folder with Windows Explorer.

joeblow9104

GREAT - now I got it.
Makes a lot of sense!
Thanks everyone.

Bigmelwalter

phred

• Global Moderator
Edit: I've added a FAQ for this
http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ#What_is_the_Inbox.3F
@scampbll - Can you please check this link?  It takes me to the FAQ, but for the life of me I don't see a section called "What is the Inbox."  Thanks.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
@scampbll - Can you please check this link?  It takes me to the FAQ, but for the life of me I don't see a section called "What is the Inbox."  Thanks.

I clicked through and went straight to that section.  Look in the table of contents if you're not seeing it.  Should be just above "Devices".
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

phred

• Global Moderator
@scampbll - Can you please check this link?  It takes me to the FAQ, but for the life of me I don't see a section called "What is the Inbox."  Thanks.
I clicked through and went straight to that section.  Look in the table of contents if you're not seeing it.  Should be just above "Devices".
Hmmm ... this is really strange.  I tried in Firefox and in IE, clearing the cache in both, closing them and restarting them.  Nada.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/09a3x9r8b2wddsg/MB_Wiki_FAQ_Contents.jpg
Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 04:06:03 AM by phred

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Huh.  I guess give it 24 hours and check on it again.  Sometimes Wikia's internal cache takes that long to reset.  But usually that's only for images, and if I can see it I can't think why you wouldn't be able to.
Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 04:16:08 AM by scampbll
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Steven

• Administrator
the link also doesnt work for me but strangely i can see the changes on the history

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I'll take this up with Wikia, then, because that's bizarre.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

phred

• Global Moderator
I have not been able to see it on any desktop or laptop computer.  However, the link works fine on my Android cell phone with any of the three browsers I have installed.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki