Author Topic: How to Display Movie Backdrops for Soundtrack Music  (Read 33747 times)

redwing

A big fan of movies? Then do you know while you're listening to soundtrack music MusicBee can retrieve and show movie backdrops for you? This is a short guide to the feature.

- How does it work?

MB detects soundtrack files from the track's "genre" field, gets the movie title from "album" field, and searches in the user's specified local folder and then the web for pictures associated with the movie.

- Where do the pictures show up?

You can see movie backdrops in modern compact player, playing track panel, and some theater mode views that use gallery element and "MovieOrAlbum" field (instead of "Album" field).

- What genre should a track be tagged with to be detected as a soundtrack file?

The genre should contain any of "Soundtrack", "Musical", or "OST".

- Many of my soundtrack albums have a different album name from the original movie title like "Top Gun - Motion Picture Soundtrack" instead of "Top Gun". Can MB find web pictures with that kind of album name?

No, it can't. You have two choices. Rename the album to "Top Gun" (if this is not working, consult "compilation album" guide below) or tell MB the exact movie title of the album using Artwork Downloader tool (Tool> Download Artwork). Tick "movie backdrops for soundtracks" and tick the file, then you will be prompted to enter the movie name to associate with the file. Such mapping is saved to SavedSountrackMappings.dat file in AppData folder (the file is uneditable).

- What happens if MB can't find any pictures with the movie from the user's folder and the web?

Then it reverts to the usual artist picture slide show. So if you see artist pictures instead of movie pictures with soundtrack files, then it means either that the movie title was incorrectly mapped (you can fix this using Artwork Downloader tool as mentioned above) or that there's no picture available with that movie if the title is correct.  

- I have "The Godfather Part II" soundtrack album, but MB can't find any pictures for the legendary work. What's going on?

MB retrieves movie pictures from The Movie Database site (www.themoviedb.org/movie), so the movie title you're using needs to be completely identical to theirs. Go to the site, search the title, then you will see they use "The Godfather: Part II" instead for the movie (note the colon between the words).

- Tell me about the user's soundtrack picture folder. What's the use of it?

Go to Edit> Preferences> Tags(1)> artwork storage and set up soundtrack picture folder location. There you can store your own movie pictures you want to see while listening to soundtrack music. The image files need to be named as or start with the movie title. MB will show them along with web pictures if retrievable.

- Does MB save web pictures in the folder as well?

No, they are only cached for future use (one picture for each movie). So the folder will be always empty unless you store some yourself.

(This is no longer the case from v3.1.6375 or later versions of MB as it now saves one picture per movie and one per track for compilation album into the user's local folder. To avoid this, you need to edit MusicBee3Settings.ini file in AppData folder: <DisableMovieArtworkDownload>true</DisableMovieArtworkDownload>. Then artwork downloader tool will complain with "No match found" for already mapped tracks. Just ignore it.)

- I have several soundtrack compilation albums. How would they work?

Basically you need to make sure each track is correctly mapped to the right movie for such compilation albums, using Artwork Downloader tool. You will be prompted "album--title" template with the tool to save you entering entire movie title for each track. MB detects such a soundtrack compilation track by checking if its "artist" is different from "album artist" value. Note that, if no movie is mapped to such a track, MB is first looking for "album--title.jpg" (or .png) files and then "album.jpg" files in the user's folder. If no such image files are found, it will revert to artist picture slide show.

- I'd like to see certain local pictures while listening to an album. But they are not soundtrack files. Is it possible?

Yes, name those image files as starting with the album name and store in the user's soundtrack picture folder. Then MB will show those images while the album is playing instead of the usual artist pictures.
Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 03:50:22 PM by redwing

Moshi_

• http://www.last.fm/user/Moshi_
Splendid!

Also, can you post some screenshots how it looks so people can see how great this is!!  ;D

redwing

Splendid!

Also, can you post some screenshots how it looks so people can see how great this is!!  ;D

I added some (recycled what I posted on the screenshot board). Thanks for your interest!

Moshi_

Does only one picture show up for you as well? Or do they rotate? I seem to be gettign only one picture even for famous movies (Braveheart, Inception, etc..)

redwing

Does only one picture show up for you as well? Or do they rotate? I seem to be gettign only one picture even for famous movies (Braveheart, Inception, etc..)

It rotates multiple pictures. What panel (mode) are you using to see them?

redwing

Will this work for TV shows/anime as well?

The support for TV shows (www.themoviedb.org/tv) was already requested, but not implemented yet. For animes, no differences from other movies, meaning an anime will show web pictures if it's in The Movie Database site (www.themoviedb.org/movie).

Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 03:35:59 AM by redwing

Moshi_

beelove1

This is great!

btw if you want to save your artwork pictures remember that you can't save the character : in a windows file

so something like Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope would be ILLEGAL (and pictures are not found)

remove the : char from both file name and tag

redwing

btw if you want to save your artwork pictures remember that you can't save the character : in a windows file

so something like Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope would be ILLEGAL (and pictures are not found)

remove the : char from both file name and tag

Of course you cannot use a colon in filename. But you can use it for a tag, and in this case you should use it either for album tag or for soundtrack mapping to retrieve web pictures because that's how the site titled the movie.

beelove1

Of course you cannot use a colon in filename. But you can use it for a tag, and in this case you should use it either for album tag or for soundtrack mapping to retrieve web pictures because that's how the site titled the movie.

The folder pictures works very well.

The web search still has its problems. With some movies it works well, with others it doesn't. "crimson tide" is good, but "the rock" is not for example.

it would be useful to have the "search code" that it uses in order to do some debug

redwing

Working fine for me. Check with Artwork Downloader tool how your file is mapped.

beelove1

Ok I understood the problem. It was related to "Album Artist" tag

With this tag
 -- Album: Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope
 -- Album Artist: Star Wars

it doesn't work because the request is translated to this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lmxvkjnrn3pn06o/tool1.JPG?dl=0

BUT If I remove the Album Artist tag and make it
With this tag
 -- Album: Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope
 -- Album Artist:

Then the search string is correct:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i41w9bsfh1cikad/tool2.JPG?dl=0

redwing

Would you please take time and read the guide carefully?

Basically you need to make sure each track is correctly mapped to the right movie for such compilation albums, using Artwork Downloader tool. You will be prompted "album--title" template with the tool to save you entering each title. MB detects such a soundtrack compilation track by checking if its "artist" is different from "album artist" value.

I would appreciate if you use General board for your further questions.

beelove1

geez.. ok. maybe you can't see it because you've written it yourself but the guide is not as clear as you think.

Rename the album to "Top Gun", then it would instantly work

Wrong, It does not instantly work. It only works if "Album Artist" tag is Empty or equals the "Artist" tag. And this was my problem

MB detects such a soundtrack compilation track by checking if its "artist" is different from "album artist" value. Note that, for such a track, MB is first looking for "album--title.jpg" (or .png) files in the user's folder, and if no match then it searches for the usual album name, if no movies are mapped to with each track.

"searches for usual album name" ---> "It'll show the default artist slide show" might be a much better explanation.

ps: I'm trying to help others who may have the same problems and will read this thread.
Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 08:41:16 PM by beelove1