Author Topic: Hotkeys - Allow use of Winkey  (Read 6592 times)

GabesDad

Could you enable use of the Winkey as part of hotkeys, for example such that Winkey + Alt + Home = Play/Pause?  Thanks.

Steven

• Administrator

GabesDad

I just gave it a try, and noticed that the use of WinKey is not allowed in global hotkeys.  Is there a reason for this?  If this is not already done, is there a way that MusicBee can check for other system or global program hotkeys before setting a hotkey so that the most possible key combinations can be used for global hotkeys but at the same time, not interfering with other global / system hotkeys?

Steven

• Administrator
i should have made clear i havent done winkey for global keys - it should report a message when you try to do it as i guess you found. I dont think its possible to register Winkey + Alt + Home as an example, you can only register Alt + Home - reason being Winkey is not considered a key modifier like Alt (I might be proved wrong about this but thats how i have found the behaviour). Perhaps there is some windows trick to implement it but i havent been able to find that info.
What i could so, and i will have a look at trying is registering Alt + Home and then checking if Winkey is pressed at the time. However that would mean you couldnt use Alt + Home as a separate hotkey

GabesDad

Just using winamp as an example, WinKey can be used as part of a global hotkey, but I am not sure how they accomplished this.  I guess I just got used to using Alt + Winkey for music player hotkeys, but I can change.  I am sort of a hotkey junky and use most all system hotkeys and have a sort of self made logic that Ctrl + Alt are hotkeys for launching programs, Alt + Winkey is for media player hotkeys, and Shift + Ctrl or is used by default by too many programs and Winkey only is used by the system that I did not assign anything global to use these modifier keys.

Mike Stop Continues

FooBar2000 allows win-key globals and AutoHotKey also has the ability to override win-key defaults. Like GabesDad, I use Win+Alt for all of my background programs because I use very shortcut-intensive programs (which cannot use the win-key). It seems like the whole point of the win-key is FOR global hotkeys. As much as I love MusicBee (it must bee the best I've found!), win-key globals are a deal-breaker for me. Please consider how to make the necessary changes.

Thanks!

Havokdan

In foobar2000 (player he used as a standard before) used the following hotkeys:
F9 = Play / Pause
F10 = Previous Track
F11 = Next track
F12 = Change playlists
Win + X = Close Player

All are possible in MusicBee?

Mike Stop Continues

In foobar2000 (player he used as a standard before) used the following hotkeys:
F9 = Play / Pause
F10 = Previous Track
F11 = Next track
F12 = Change playlists
Win + X = Close Player

All are possible in MusicBee?

It would be nice to use the standard hotkeys of a program, but that's often impractical due to overlap. All of my foobar2000 hotkeys were Win+Alt+Key, because whether I'm using an audio program like REAPER (you'd be surprised how much work there is to do in audio engineering while the song is not playing) or a cgi program like XSI, I need the non-Win hotkeys for the program itself.

To answer your question, Win+X is NOT possible in MusicBee. Considering the smallness of that problem to the awesomeness the program already offers, it must be an easy request to fill. I just checked and MediaMonkey also allows Win-key globals.

Steven

• Administrator

Mike Stop Continues

its done for the next update

That's awesome!  ;D

Now to convert everyone I know to MusicBee...