Author Topic: file sync  (Read 2513 times)

gelacio

when i first syncd my device to the music library it copied all the files over on to the device.  i have since added some new files to the music library and am wondering whether the best thing is to send the files to the device or whether to do it through the sync option. im just worried it will try to copy all the files all over again.....

thanks!

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You can send any files you want to the device and it shouldn't disturb what's there unless you have "delete tracks that are not on auto-sync list from the device" checked.  (And I don't THINK it would do it even then, unless you use the "Synchronize" command rather than "Send To".  But I can't swear it.)
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

gelacio

will the files then be available for playlists created in music bee from the main library?      i guess i can just try and see......      i just didnt want to resync the whole thing but shouldnt syncing do that? i.e. make sure the main library and the device library are matching?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You shouldn't try to put tracks on a device in a library playlist (but maybe I misunderstand what you're asking).

If you want MB to coordinate files between the library and the device, use a playlist for syncing:

*create a playlist with the tracks (from the library) that you want to sync
*set up your auto-sync settings to use ONLY that playlist (or playlists), not "Music Library"
*check the box for "delete tracks not in auto-sync list"

Then use the "synchronize" button whenever you want to apply updates.  Files which have changed in the library will be updated, files no longer on the playlist will be removed, and files added to the playlist will be added to the device.  All other files will be left alone.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

gelacio

thanks for takin the time to reply.

the bit about files no longer on the playlist being removed confuses me . ...           how come one doesnt just press the sync button and it scans both locations and compares what is lacking and then adds what needs to be added  and deletes what needs to be deleted?  the sync thing really confuses me. however i can make a playlist of stuff i wanna add. i guess thats simple enough...