Author Topic: DISCSUBTITLE metadata in FLAC  (Read 6394 times)

dingydingo

Hi! I've been using a combination of MediaMonkey and Foobar2000 since forever, but I just discovered MusicBee yesterday, and am liking what I am seeing! I have started importing a small portion of my FLAC library over to play around a bit before I completely ditch the other apps...

My first question so far is:

I have a couple box sets that are made up of individual albums by an artist. For example, Pink Floyd's Discovery set. The Album Title is set as "Discovery" and then each disc has the appropriate title (for instance, "Dark Side of the Moon" or "Animals") in the DISCSUBTITLE tag. I can verify this in the Tag Inspector:

According to this page, MusicBee references the Vorbis tag DISCSUBTITLE as "Set Subtitle." So in the Tags (1) tab of the Preferences, I modified a Custom tag as shown here:

But when I open the Edit dialog for any file in the set and click on the Tags (2) tab, the field is empty:

Is this a bug, or am I missing something?

Thanks!

Steven

• Administrator
if you open Configuration.xml in the musicbee application folder, you will see
<Tag id="Set Subtitle" id3v23="TXXX/TSST" id3v24="TSST" wma="SetSubTitle" vorbisComments="SETSUBTITLE" mpeg="SETSUBTITLE" ape2="SetSubtitle" />

you could change it in this file but not recommended as it might get overwritten with future releases if you are not careful. It might be better to create a brand new custom tag. The wiki can help with that if you are unsure how to do that

dingydingo

Aha! Now it works. I was going by the Wiki page http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Custom_Tags, which lists the DISCSUBTITLE tag as what is read, so I just assumed it should work.  :P  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

5moufl

• 3.0.5884+
Aha! Now it works. I was going by the Wiki page http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Custom_Tags, which lists the DISCSUBTITLE tag as what is read, so I just assumed it should work.  :P  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
Noticed the same thing on the same set actually. I wonder why the wiki has the wrong information though.

I wonder why musicbee currently uses SETSUBTITLE instead of DISCSUBTITLE for FLAC

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
I wonder why musicbee currently uses SETSUBTITLE instead of DISCSUBTITLE for FLAC

There is only a very small set of standardized VorbisComment tag names, with a few more currently being discussed for inclusion. DISCSUBTITLE is not on that list. 
It is only by general consensus that these tag names are used and, unfortunately, can also stop being used. ie. the BAND and ENSEMBLE tags that have gradually been replaced with the ALBUMARTIST tag.
So, I guess to avoid the majority of users having to re-tag their flac files, Steven is sticking with SETSUBTITLE for now.  If DISCSUBTITLE does become the more widely accepted tag, and more people ask for its support, then a change will probably be made.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together