Author Topic: Is it possible to combine play counts for the same song on two different albums?  (Read 8421 times)

ShadowSKAR

In some cases, I have the same song appearing on different albums. A lot of times, it'll get played on different albums, increasing the play count for the same song in multiple places. Is there a way to somehow tie the songs together and consolidate the play counts so if I play it on one album, it'll increase the play count for both songs?

I have a lot of smart playlists based on play counts, so having a song's play count diluted across multiple albums isn't very ideal. Any other ideas on how to deal with the same song on multiple albums is also welcome.

Pingaware

I can think of very few instances where there are the same songs on different albums specifically (as opposed to compilations or singles). If they're on compilations, one way to avoid this is just to delete the songs off everything except the albums they actually belong to. You can then create ASX files to act as links, but someone else will have to explain that as it's not something I've dabbled with yet.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

ShadowSKAR

I can think of very few instances where there are the same songs on different albums specifically (as opposed to compilations or singles). If they're on compilations, one way to avoid this is just to delete the songs off everything except the albums they actually belong to. You can then create ASX files to act as links, but someone else will have to explain that as it's not something I've dabbled with yet.

It's definitely not very common, but happens just enough where it kind of bothers me. The usual scenario is that a song gets released on one album then gets put into a later EP or something...as filling?

I know you just said you haven't dabbled with ASX files yet, but any pointers on where to start?

Pingaware

Bee-liever is the man to provide help here - I'm sure he'll be along shortly. However, by the looks of it, this link might get you started.
Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 11:59:45 AM by Pingaware

KissCool

About .asx files:
MusicBee/Tools/Manage Duplicates
"duplicates handling: replace with reference to the kept file"
Duplicates will be deleted and replaced by .asx files.

But "Play Count" wise, it's not gonna help.
What you want:
Playing a duplicate (.asx) -> Kept file = "Play Count" +1 / Duplicate (.asx) = "Play Count" +1
What MusicBee does:
Playing a duplicate (.asx) -> Kept file = "Play Count" +0 / Duplicate (.asx) = "Play Count" +1

ShadowSKAR

About .asx files:
MusicBee/Tools/Manage Duplicates
"duplicates handling: replace with reference to the kept file"
Duplicates will be deleted and replaced by .asx files.

But "Play Count" wise, it's not gonna help.
What you want:
Playing a duplicate (.asx) -> Kept file = "Play Count" +1 / Duplicate (.asx) = "Play Count" +1
What MusicBee does:
Playing a duplicate (.asx) -> Kept file = "Play Count" +0 / Duplicate (.asx) = "Play Count" +1

So basically Musicbee can't increase play count for a song that it's not playing?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You can alter playcounts manually, but there's no automated way.  Could be a good subject for a plugin...

However, you can use MusicBee's duplicate manager to hide duplicates so that only one copy gets played, or you can simple ban one copy from playback in the Tag Editor.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Pingaware

It almost feels like there might be a way to do it with an auto-report, but I'm not positive on that. Also not sure exactly what you'd need to do.

ShadowSKAR

I'll look into the duplicate manager and just playing one file. Seems like the simplest way to take care of it.

I just realized that even if I somehow got the same song on different albums to have a shared play count, I'd end up with repeats in smart playlists that are organized by play count. Then I'd have to go through another step to filter out the repeat.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I'll look into the duplicate manager and just playing one file. Seems like the simplest way to take care of it.

I just realized that even if I somehow got the same song on different albums to have a shared play count, I'd end up with repeats in smart playlists that are organized by play count. Then I'd have to go through another step to filter out the repeat.

My suggestion is that you manually combine the play counts for affected tracks now, putting the total in the one you want to be the main version and reducing the other(s) to zero.  Then, for the ones that you don't want to increment anymore, go to the Settings tab in the Tag Editor and set them to "Exclude from playback": http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Tagging#Settings

That should solve both problems, and once it's done you won't have to do it again.  The duplicate manager can help you locate the problem tracks, if you don't know what they all are.
Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 09:00:35 PM by scampbll
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

ShadowSKAR

My suggestion is that you manually combine the play counts for affected tracks now, putting the total in the one you want to be the main version and reducing the other(s) to zero.  Then, for the ones that you don't want to increment anymore, go to the Settings tab in the Tag Editor and set them to "Exclude from playback": http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Tagging#Settings

That should solve both problems, and once it's done you won't have to do it again.  The duplicate manager can help you locate the problem tracks, if you don't know what they all are.

This definitely seems like a simple way to achieve the effect I want. Thanks for the suggestion and detailed explanation. I'll definitely try this out when I get back to my computer.

Zak

• Global Moderator
It's definitely not very common, but happens just enough where it kind of bothers me. The usual scenario is that a song gets released on one album then gets put into a later EP or something...as filling?

I know you just said you haven't dabbled with ASX files yet, but any pointers on where to start?
Note that while ASX files will let you refer to a single track from multiple albums, the ASX file will keep a separate play count so it won't address your original issue.

Originally posted in this thread:

http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=8542.0

Better than a playlist is to use MusicBee's support for ASX files. An ASX file is just an XML file that can contain its own tag information. I use them extensively for the exact purpose you have described.

First, tag the original music file with the details of its original album. Then, create an ASX file referencing the original file and tag that with the details of the compilation album. Repeat for each track on the album. It uses virtually no disk space, you can search for the compilation album by name, and it can have its own artwork. :)

The use of ASX files is discussed at great length in this thread:

http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=7770.0
Bee excellent to each other...

imminiman

• Music is my life, 'cause my life is music.
Sorry for bumping this thread, but I would really like to know if there's a way to do what ShadowSKAR originally asked for.
Using ASX doesn't help.
Excluding from playback seems like a bad option, because if I want to listen to the album that the ASX file belongs to, it won't play the song.

Are there any other options?

vanhoivanbinh

I also find out the problem that if you have an autoplaylist and choose the option Skip repeated song in different album, I want the song with mostly played to be appear,
Currently, Musicbee will skip song randomly when it appears in multiple albums