Author Topic: Error when attempting to access a podcast, download a new version, etc.  (Read 1501 times)

Jethro1984

I have encountered an error when attempting to access the Tritonia Podcast.  It occurs when I attempt to add the podcast via the directory (although it finally did add it), when I attempt to download any new podcasts (which do not download), and if I enter the edit screen and attempt to save.  It almost looks like a permissions error but have no idea why it's occurring.  Error log below.

MusicBee v3.2.6902.32258 (Win10.0), 9 Feb 2019 11:50:

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access is denied. [C:\Users\Name Removed\Music\Podcasts\]
   at #=zf67MEopCrwJkUkPlGumBqLA=.#=zworXhnS61bwz.#=zxIq5PeQ=.#=zc3YHqDk=(#=zkilhrE$cypVhjQ8q52qKxTQ= #=z0k4Bx$M=, Boolean #=zmFaAsvwdppoG)
   at #=z986Ri2pydeujdzRNddX3Q3kGN9y9.#=zuzOlmSS$Tsp6(#=zpIyIGMKAjgJgqIRF6g== #=zRFcHc7Q=, FileMode #=zqxtYePE=, FileAccess #=znwM754Q=, Int32 #=zuFxzc6o=)
   at #=zytL0vfAm7EbzpxNVEk6hRcM=.#=zCUbfsOu29jHV()
   at #=zytL0vfAm7EbzpxNVEk6hRcM=.#=zp6vkcWQ=(#=zGv0gSP0nDZL_sn_9_Si0FBo= #=zt2mvwpg=, Boolean #=zOY2etfE=)
   at #=zwQAYikAHocf93ktjgKkMApg=.#=zp6vkcWQ=()

Steven

• Administrator
Check in windows explorer that you can create the folder.
Also sometimes your security software can interfere with musicbee (eg. Avast is the worst)

Jethro1984

I am able to create and delete folders in that directory without issue.

It is not an anti-virus/anti-malware program.

Other thoughts?

phred

• Global Moderator
What security software are you using? And have you white-listed the entire MB directory?
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Jethro1984

Built in Windows stuff.  Haven't bought anything else yet because Defender is pretty good for what it is.

phred

• Global Moderator
First, try updating to the latest 3.3 patch.

Have you whitelisted MB and all folders it uses in Defender? Try it.

The fact that the problem involves a Windows protected directory (C:\users\...) makes me think that could be part of the issue. What installer version are you using (portable, installer, Windows store?) Try the portable version installed to a different, non-Windows protected, directory. Ideally on another partition, such as D:\

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Jethro1984

Patched.  Windows Firewall I manually added MusicBee (couldn't find other Whitelist settings).

Now the error is:

MusicBee v3.3.6993.27676 (Win10.0), 25 Feb 2019 11:22:

System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: The system cannot find the path specified. [C:\Users\Name Removed\Music\Podcasts\Subscriptions.dat]
   at #=zjRALDCMgwhatfj7ZEqLTAks=.#=z2sDcfOSLCwea.#=zxP4nXoc=.#=zhMRCW9dmtpJS(#=z$SAc4wF8wBfPmQxbnA== #=zjjsVexo=, FileMode #=z7iqvoYo=, FileAccess #=zzi_89vM=, FileShare #=zzYEWoww=, Int32 #=zIhHqogI=, Boolean #=zkl$Os0w9HJSM)
   at #=zgFizUp1C42WenJ5L4BX7mjy$3SYa.#=zhMRCW9dmtpJS(#=z$SAc4wF8wBfPmQxbnA== #=zjjsVexo=, FileMode #=z7iqvoYo=, FileAccess #=zzi_89vM=, Int32 #=zIhHqogI=)
   at #=zUqgO8_6BOVyNwfuu1$NNI70=.#=zrAhqWNWP7X4m()
   at #=zUqgO8_6BOVyNwfuu1$NNI70=.#=zHPg3lAg=(#=ztbcATivJtVEDrpfDhpaXEEs= #=z5aM_H0o=, Boolean #=zp9THOMo=)
   at #=zbvhAn86IRHh4ohxd328uUY6$PRCukKCkBA==.#=zx02GGOPy6Zxl(Object #=zal_8wWU=, EventArgs #=zmh4Ubgw=)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at #=zM41Stx9ieJtpHnNkMYS8QXA=.OnClick(EventArgs #=zmh4Ubgw=)
   at #=zM41Stx9ieJtpHnNkMYS8QXA=.#=zRyuUKMnEZpgP(Object #=zal_8wWU=, EventArgs #=zmh4Ubgw=)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

phred

• Global Moderator
The system cannot find the path specified. [C:\Users\Name Removed\Music\Podcasts\Subscriptions.dat]
I'm just guessing here, but can you confirm that this path and file (subscriptions.dat) exist?
I'm wondering if perhaps the dat file has become corrupt.

I would suggest waiting until Steven or someone else chimes in on the issue before making any changes.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

Jethro1984

I have made too many changes to permissions and things on this basis (hopefully nothing problematic).  I decided to go back to basics, uninstalled completely and then installed it via the Microsoft Store.  That didn't fix the problem but then I noticed that it was trying to access the Podcast folder at %UserName%\Music\Podcasts (the one along with documents, photos, etc.)  At a higher level in other words.

So, I figured a workaround might fix the problem.  I created a Podcasts folder in the MusicBee specific folder that is located at %UserName%\Music\MusicBee and then pointed MusicBee to it instead.  Problem seems to be solved.  No errors, podcast loads correctly from directory, and displays all episodes.  So the path is basically %UserName%\Music\MusicBee\Podcasts.

It seems to me the issue lies in the fact that MusicBee has the ability to grant all of it's own necessary permissions from within its own folder, but cannot write outside of the MusicBee folder with some rare exceptions.

I think Microsoft has created a monster with some of this account control.  It seems they have tried so hard to protect people from themselves that some folks can't get anything done because of permissions issues.

Anyway, it's a stopgap fix for now, but it seems to be working.