Author Topic: Change Case filename  (Read 5552 times)

jannii

Hello,

is there a way to change cases in multiple filenames? Unfortunately I haven't found it. The Tag Tools have only influence on the tags or did I overlook an option? I made it with MP 3 Tag and Tagscanner, which is very easy there. But the changes are not recognized in MusicBee afterwards. After a rescan the same. Is there a better way directly in MusicBee?

Many thanks for your help in advance.

ma_t14

File names should optimally reflect what is already found in tags. That way you can ensure that everything is consistent.

I suggest you have a look at the Organize Files function found under Tools. Start out with a few songs to test how it works before using it for all your library.

jannii

Thank you very much for your quick answer.

I don't want to reorganize my folders. I would like to have the possibilities like in MP3 Tag or in Tagscanner. But if this is not possible or wanted, there should be a way that the changes, which were made with other programs, would be displayed correctly after rescanning the files. But maybe i've only made a mistake or overlooked an option?

ma_t14

You don't need to reorganize folders if you don't want to.  Uncheck the move to folder checkbox and in the naming template input something like the following

e.g.  <Album Artist> - <Title>

(by leaving out any backslashes "\" you are changing only the filename and the folder structure remains as is)

I would like to have the possibilities like in MP3 Tag or in Tagscanner. But if this is not possible or wanted, there should be a way that the changes, which were made with other programs, would be displayed correctly after rescanning the files. But maybe i've only made a mistake or overlooked an option?

You need to check the option "rescan files already in library" in the Rescan dialog.

You may also rescan individual files or a selection for changes through right-click>Send To> File Rescan

jannii

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation.

The only problem is, that the filename stays the same . Only if i delete one letter in the filename, it works fine. The capitalization is the problem.
Please try it with a filename like AVICII - LEVELS. I changed it with MP3 Tag to Avicii - Levels (correctly displayed in Windows Explorer). Rescan file.....the tags get updated, but the filename stays AVICII - LEVELS in MusicBee. It's the same problem with organize files :-( .

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Yeah, I remember something Steven said about not changing cases for filenames.  It'd be nice if there were a way to do it.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Pingaware

It's a marginally annoying problem. I tend to get round it by appending 1 to the song name, hitting the rename button, then removing the 1 and hitting the rename button again. Not elegant but is quick and gets the job done.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

phred

• Global Moderator
Wouldn't SEND TO \ FOLDER (COPY) \ COPY FILES TO ORGANIZED FOLDER accomplish the change of case for the file name?
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Wouldn't SEND TO \ FOLDER (COPY) \ COPY FILES TO ORGANIZED FOLDER accomplish the change of case for the file name?

It might, although you'd be creating a duplicate rather than renaming the original file.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

phred

• Global Moderator
Ahhh ... good point.  The OP -did- say s/he didn't want to reorganize.  Well, it's still a way to get it done.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

jannii

@Pingaware:

If you want to change just one file, this is ok. But with multiple files this is no quick solution. MusicBee is such a great piece of software and I like it very much, but I think this is an important thing to improve MusicBee further. But I am no software developer and I don't know how difficult it is to change this.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I would support this as a wishlist request.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Pingaware

@Jannii:

Very true. I've luckily avoided having to do it in bulk for the most part.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.