Author Topic: Musicbee isn't adding removed songs and a lot of new songs I put into my library  (Read 4834 times)

sacredshinobi

I recently found a song in my library that had butchered audio and so I found a better version of it. I deleted the file and put the new file in, and when I used the Rescan/Add Files Insert option in MusicBee it recognized that a file got removed but it doesn't detect the new file I put in. I've tried removing it and scanning and putting it back and scanning multiple times and it still has not detected it.

I've also noticed that there is a song in my inbox that isn't in my library either despite it being located in the folder my library is located in. I checked the files and the size of all my music in MusicBee and in the folder and I think there are a lot of files that aren't showing up in MusicBee. Here's a picture of the two

This says 945 files and 6.6 GB of music

This says 2,517 files and 6.73 GB of music

Folders count as files too but I don't think there are enough folders to make up the difference. What can I do to make this a nonissue?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Welcome to the forum!

It seems unlikely that most of the "missing" files are actually MP3 files, considering that the difference in data size is only .13 GB.  Do you have lyrics or artwork files in that folder?  I notice that some of MB's settings files are shown in the screenshot.   If there are other settings files we're not seeing, they may account for the difference in number of files.

As for the file in your Inbox, the physical location of the file doesn't matter to MB.  It only knows which files you've told it go in the Library.  If you move the stray file from Inbox to Library, the location won't change unless you have Auto-Organize enabled.

It is likely that the replacement file also got scanned into the inbox, which is what MB does with new files by default.  If that's not the case, have you tried just dragging and dropping it straight into the inbox or library?
Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 07:39:17 AM by scampbll
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

sacredshinobi

Welcome to the forum!

It seems unlikely that most of the "missing" files are actually MP3 files, considering that the difference in data size is only .13 GB.  Do you have lyrics or artwork files in that folder?  I notice that some of MB's settings files are shown in the screenshot.   If there are other settings files we're not seeing, they may account for the difference in number of files.

As for the file in your Inbox, the physical location of the file doesn't matter to MB.  It only knows which files you've told it go in the Library.  If you move the stray file from Inbox to Library, the location won't change unless you have Auto-Organize enabled.

It is likely that the replacement file also got scanned into the inbox, which is what MB does with new files by default.  If that's not the case, have you tried just dragging and dropping it straight into the inbox or library?

Hello and thank you for the greeting, this seems like a lovely forum!

There are album art files within folders, although most of the album art is embedded into the songs themselves (does that count as a file separate from the mp3) however I suppose this could explain the difference in the amount of files.

For the two missing files, i'm not concerned about them being part of the MB size, just the fact that they aren't detected in the library scan when they are located in the folder MusicBee uses for my library. The other song did seem to have shown up in my library now (it didn't yesterday)

Forgive my ignorance, but whenever I add new music to the folder and I scan for them they always get added to the library, so why would these two get added to the inbox? Would dragging and dropping them from my inbox to the library fix the problem?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Forgive my ignorance, but whenever I add new music to the folder and I scan for them they always get added to the library, so why would these two get added to the inbox? Would dragging and dropping them from my inbox to the library fix the problem?

If you have MB set to add new files to your Library rather than Inbox, it is strange that they would end up there.  But yes, dragging a file from Inbox to Library will fix it within MB.

Incidentally, if you have another case where you need to replace a specific file with a better version, you can use "Send to > Folder (Replace)" and the new file will be imported directly to the position of the old one, preserving all tags, play history, and playlist associations, etc.

Oh, and I just noticed that some of your files are read-only.  If they are MP3s, this can cause all sorts of confusion and weird behavior within MB.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

sacredshinobi

If you have MB set to add new files to your Library rather than Inbox, it is strange that they would end up there.  But yes, dragging a file from Inbox to Library will fix it within MB.

Incidentally, if you have another case where you need to replace a specific file with a better version, you can use "Send to > Folder (Replace)" and the new file will be imported directly to the position of the old one, preserving all tags, play history, and playlist associations, etc.

Oh, and I just noticed that some of your files are read-only.  If they are MP3s, this can cause all sorts of confusion and weird behavior within MB.

Actually I just checked and it is set to send new files to the inbox, but almost all then new files i've scanned with the exception of these two have gone to the library. Weird.

In the case of "Send to (Replace" i'm assuming I will be doing this to the new file after adding it into MusicBee?

Which files are read only? How did you notice this?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
In the case of "Send to (Replace" i'm assuming I will be doing this to the new file after adding it into MusicBee?

Actually, for the Replace command it doesn't really matter because you'll have to select the new file from the file open dialogue anyway.

Take a look at your screenshot, the "read-only" box has a partial fill.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

sacredshinobi

Actually, for the Replace command it doesn't really matter because you'll have to select the new file from the file open dialogue anyway.

Take a look at your screenshot, the "read-only" box has a partial fill.
Good catch. I looked through the songs and it seems like only one of them was read only, I unchecked the box and applied it. Anything special I should do to the library now?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
No, not really.  If anything, just rescan that one file (Send to > File rescan).
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)