Author Topic: folder naming and "the"  (Read 2897 times)

Mr. Trev

I know that MB can ignore the word "the" in the library sorting, but I was wondering if there is any way to make it ignore "the" when creating folders. What I want to do is when I sync files to my device is have my artist  go into a folder like "rolling stones" instead of "the rolling stones". Folder browsing is quite a pain when you have a whole bunch of artists that start with "the".
Cheers

Zak

• Global Moderator
In the Music Files path in your device settings you can include the Sort function.
$Sort(<artist>) for will give you "Rolling Stones, The"
Bee excellent to each other...

Mr. Trev

Awesome, just what I was looking for.
If I use that tag for my organized folders will MB just rename the old folders, or will it need to copy/move the files again? My library is pushing 1gb, stored on my nas, and organized the old way (The....). Don't really want to spend hrs. reorganizing again.

Zak

• Global Moderator
Depends what you mean by "organized folders".

If you already have "auto-organise media files" enabled, you can update the path setting and MusicBee will move your existing files. If you don't currently use this, be aware that it will organise all of your music so make sure you set up it correctly before enabling it.

Otherwise, you could select all the files for artists that start with "The" and use Send To > Folder(Move) > Move Files to Organised Folder with an appropriate path template to update only those on a one-off basis. It shouldn't take too long, and you can preview the paths to make sure they look correct before proceeding.
Bee excellent to each other...

Mr. Trev

I do have Mb set to auto-organize - started that when I got my NAS. I was just wondering if I changed the path whether MB would need to do the whole process over again. Should be good to go, Thanks.