Author Topic: Custom Tags  (Read 2397 times)

Pingaware

Quick question about custom tags. Up till now, I've just tacked new custom tags on the end as I've needed them. However, this has left a rather unordered mess of sometimes connected, sometimes completely unconnected, tags in the second half of the editing window. I'd quite like to re-order this, but before I do, I just want to check something.

All of my custom tags are saved to the file with suitable identifiers, i.e. none are stored in the database only. Therefore, as I understand it, if I change the order they're displayed and change the display name appropriately, after the re-scan they should all be preserved correctly but now displayed in a more logical and useful order. Is that poorly worded assumption correct?

EDIT - But any rules (virtual tags, filters, etc.) will need changing though?
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
That sounds right from my experience.  I think virtual tags will use whatever tag is now in the slot that the tag you were using before was in.  So if you had a tag in the custom12 slot, it will still use the custom12 tag.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Pingaware

That sounds right from my experience.  I think virtual tags will use whatever tag is now in the slot that the tag you were using before was in.  So if you had a tag in the custom12 slot, it will still use the custom12 tag.

Cool, that's what I was expecting. And presumably, if I backup my custom tags config file before making the changes, I can easily go back if I screw something up.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

jeanpichette

I have a question about Custom Tags.
I organised my whole library with a Custom Tag <Custom4> = Album or Single or Live or Compilation
I had to re-install windows and now all the <Custom4> tags are missing from my mp3!  Argh!
OK, I probably should have set-up <Custom4> in the Preferences, What would you suggest?  I would like to make sure that if I start this process again, my mp3 shall maintain this tag.  Is this possible or am I wasting my time?

The reason why I want "Album / Single / Life / Compilation" is to perform a Move Files to an organised Folder.
Thanks for any help,
Jean.

Roadrunner

In the current situation you should be able to restore them if you have a backup of the original music bee library files.

After that, for the future you'll have to change the default for custom tags "Save to MusicBee database only" to the tag name in which you'd like to store the information (Preferences -> Tags(1)).