Author Topic: Sampler: Date released vs. original date  (Read 9064 times)

so_la_la

I am aware of this thread http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=9153.0 but still have a question:
How do you all solve the dissonance between this two different dates? E.g. you have a Sam Cooke compilation released in 2001 but all the songs on it are from the early sixties.
If you plan on searching by date or decade you will surely not want to set the date to 2001...
Music Bee 3; EAC; MP3Tag; Music on Synology NAS 115; Logitech Media Server on RPI 3; RPI 2 with Hifiberry; Poweramp for Android/Lineage

phred

• Global Moderator
It's pretty much a personal preference. 
If it's a live recording, I always use the date it was recorded no matter when it was released.  For 'greatest hits' compilations, I usually will use the release date. 
No matter which way you go, remember to stay consistent. 
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

so_la_la

What I really need is a second 'year'-tag... I really want both options. But I can see that MP3 did not foresee this.
Music Bee 3; EAC; MP3Tag; Music on Synology NAS 115; Logitech Media Server on RPI 3; RPI 2 with Hifiberry; Poweramp for Android/Lineage

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
There is a custom Original Date tag available for this.  I use it for year of composition in classical pieces and chart year for pop music.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Pingaware

For the "Year" tag, I always use the release date, accurate to the day wherever possible, with the exception of live bootlegs which are tagged with recording date.

I then have a custom tag defined as the ID3 standard "Original Date". I use this field for compilations where I put the year of original release for each individual track.

I then complicate all this by having this Virtual Tag which takes both of those fields and gives me the release date of each track - $IsNull(<Original Release Year>,<Year (yyyy)>,<Original Release Year>).

I'm currently trying to find a way to create something similar to the Decade field using this virtual tag.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

Roadrunner

I'm currently trying to find a way to create something similar to the Decade field using this virtual tag.
I use the following formula for the decade, which results in "1980er" asf.:
$IsNull(<Original Year>,$IsNull(<Year>,,$Left(<Year>,3)0er),$Left(<Original Year>,3)0er)

so_la_la

Thanks for all the answers!
There is a custom Original Date tag available for this.
So this is just written into the mp3-file as other tags? I managed to set it up in MB.
You cannot make the decade-tag react to the original date-tag can you?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You cannot make the decade-tag react to the original date-tag can you?

Sadly, no.  And yes, it's written into the file.  This page has more info: http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Custom_tags
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

so_la_la

...and I guess there is no tagging service/database providing original dates? This would come superhandy.

Pingaware

I use the following formula for the decade, which results in "1980er" asf.:
$IsNull(<Original Year>,$IsNull(<Year>,,$Left(<Year>,3)0er),$Left(<Original Year>,3)0er)

Thanks for that Roadrunner. Never thought it would be so simple - all I needed with my setup was $Left(<Original Release Year (V)>,3)0s.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
...and I guess there is no tagging service/database providing original dates? This would come superhandy.

You can often get this info from MusicBrainz, but you might need to use their software, Picard, rather than MusicBee to access it.  I have Picard configured to automatically replace the year of a particular release of an album with the first release date.  (This depends on the original release being in Picard, but I would say it is the vast majority of the time.)
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Alumni

How do you all solve the dissonance between this two different dates? E.g. you have a Sam Cooke compilation released in 2001 but all the songs on it are from the early sixties.

All my compilations are tagged with the recording date, since it makes more sense to me.
Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 02:10:53 AM by Alumni

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
All my compilations are tagged with the recording date, since it makes more sense to me.

Yeah, I actually just tag them to the original album and have done with it.  Still, sometimes things aren't even released as albums until well after they've charted as singles, or they only even appear on compilations.  And I hate tagging things as singles unless that's really the only way they were released.  (Don't ask me why... I have lots of single tracks tagged to albums that could just as well be singles.)
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
If you might have that slight touch of OCD, I use:

TDRL (Release time) for the release date of the album;

TDOR (Original release time) if the track is on a compilation and was released earlier, or if the track was released as a single earlier than the year in TDRL;

TDRC (Recording time) - if you can find it.  This is useful for archival box sets, where tracks may not have been released in the artists lifetime, by putting them into context with other tracks from the same era.

:)
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Pingaware

Yeah, I actually just tag them to the original album and have done with it.  Still, sometimes things aren't even released as albums until well after they've charted as singles, or they only even appear on compilations.  And I hate tagging things as singles unless that's really the only way they were released.  (Don't ask me why... I have lots of single tracks tagged to albums that could just as well be singles.)

You're not alone. I have a strict hierarchical preference for where I tag things from - Album, E.P., Compilation, Single, Multi-Artist Compilation (usually charity, soundtrack or tribute).

If you might have that slight touch of OCD, I use:

TDRL (Release time) for the release date of the album;

TDOR (Original release time) if the track is on a compilation and was released earlier, or if the track was released as a single earlier than the year in TDRL;

TDRC (Recording time) - if you can find it.  This is useful for archival box sets, where tracks may not have been released in the artists lifetime, by putting them into context with other tracks from the same era.

Hmm, not thought about recording time. Could very well be useful in those circumstances. Looks like yet another re-tagging is in order.

Does anyone else ever wish they'd thought of all their tagging needs before they started collecting digital music? The number of times I've re-tagged my library is getting ridiculous...