Author Topic: AAC Conversion settings?  (Read 10447 times)

nostos156

Hello,

Needed to sort out my music collection, so decided on musicbee, with converting my FLACs to AAC for use with iTunes syncing to my iPhone.

Question is, I'm using the qaac encoder as I read it is generally regarded to be the best (as it directly uses Apple's own). Loading the codec in musicbee and enabling AAC, I see it provides default values. Will these also work well for qaac? I should be fine with those conversions?

Finally, I'm not exactly sure how the quality translates fro those 0-2 figures. I have been used to 256kbps AAC being used as standard for a while, so what would that translate to with the 0-2 system?

(Feel free to correct me if I don't need it, I'm an avid FLAC audiophile, so I just want the best quality/size ratio for when converting to AAC to put on my iphone, I'm a bit green around the edges when it comes to lossy formats!)

Steven

• Administrator
MB allows you to use the command line parameters on the encoder. I cant offer any advice on the settings but if you have no luck here you might try hydrogenaudio.org to get some good factual advice on this sort of thing

nostos156

Hi,

I went onto hydrogenaudio and discussed it, and I was given parameters to include, so now my settings look like this:

But when I try to convert a sample track it just fails, saying no output file was processed, and to check the encoding command line parameters which may be incorrect, which seems strange as the parameters seem fine?

ma_t14

There was a slight mistake in your syntax, use this instead (just copy paste it):

--tvbr 110 --ignorelength - -o [outputfile]

source: https://github.com/nu774/qaac/wiki/Examples

If you still keep having problems, feel free to ask

nostos156

Made the change, and also ensured the right profile was being used, along with specifying the full path to the encoder location... still fails?

ma_t14

qaac depends on the availability of Apple Application Support and Visual Studio C++ runtime. Do you have those installed?

Download Visual Studio C++ runtime from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

Apple Application Support comes with iTunes. To install it independently, download iTunes and instead of running the executable open it with an archiving utility e.g. 7-zip, WinRar and then open AppleApplicationSupport.msi.

nostos156

That was it, didn't have the C++ 2013 redist. Whoops  :P

redline350plus

qaac depends on the availability of Apple Application Support and Visual Studio C++ runtime. Do you have those installed?

Download Visual Studio C++ runtime from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

Apple Application Support comes with iTunes. To install it independently, download iTunes and instead of running the executable open it with an archiving utility e.g. 7-zip, WinRar and then open AppleApplicationSupport.msi.

I registered just to thank you. You saved me. Thanks a lot