Author Topic: Change google image query for album cover  (Read 4627 times)

alekc

Hello, is there any way to change google image query url? I've noticed that a lot of time there is no decent results from google using standard tool.

I'd like to be able to change search to "<album> <artist> cover" with options Larger than 400x300 (at least)?

Thanks in advance

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
The Google search will apply your minimum size filter from Tags (2), so see if you get better results by changing that value.

You can also enter a Google search as an external tool.  I have it configured as follows:

application path: <your browser>

parameters: <see edit>

There might be a way to include the size filter in the URL, but I haven't tried.

Added:  this would be useful for me, too, so I've worked it out.  This will give you a google image search restricted to 800x600 or larger:

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&tbs=isz:lt,islt:svga&as_q="$Replace(<Album Artist>,&,"%26") $Replace(<Album>,&,"%26")"
Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 01:48:31 PM by scampbll
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

alekc

Ok thx,  first suggestion didn't work.

For second i'd suggest to change the url to
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&tbs=isz:lt,imgo:1,islt:svga&as_q="$Replace(<Album Artist>,&,"%26") $Replace(<Album>,&,"%26")

In this mode it would be possible to see image's size as overlay.

Anyway it still feels like a hack, so it would be nice to be able to change url query :(

Edit:
New query (added hidden parameter aspect ratio: square)

https://www.google.com/search?&imgar=s&tbm=isch&tbs=isz:lt,imgo:1,islt:svga&as_q="$Replace(<Album Artist>,&,"%26") $Replace(<Album>,&,"%26")

Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 02:33:58 PM by alekc

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Ok thx,  first suggestion didn't work.

That surprises me.  I have a minimum size of 999, and the smallest I get are about 953.  What MB version are you running?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

alekc

Hmm weird. With setting 500x500 I was still getting images like 400x300, when I pumped min setting to 800x800 results got much better.
Thanks.

Steven

• Administrator
the google artwork size is determined from the minimum artwork size filter however i see its currently too high so i will adjust the minimum size down to 500 for the larger artwork size to be returned

alekc

After some thinking: google is using following ranges for image searching (min size).

400x300
640x480
800x600
1024x768

so if you are using 420x400 or 600x450 you will end in the same group (the reason behind my problems with 500x500 setting)

redwing

Just make sure you know this.

I had a look at the settings file and learned that those two boxes for "image size filter" define the minimum and the maximum size, respectively. The word "to" between the boxes never got my attention, and I wrongly assumed that they were for entering minimum width and height. Another thing I didn't know before hearing your remark was that either box can be left blank.

alekc

Ah! In effect I read this settings as heigh x width too :(

Maybe it would be more clear if settings was 'Apply image size filter from min XXX to max XXX px'

And btw, by image size it's intended weight / height / min between height&weight?

Edit: @Steven: am I wrong or you are not using option "Search for square images" in google search? Sometimes i get results like 1920x1080
Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 01:34:50 PM by alekc

Simpuhl

Can anybody walk me through out to add this as an external tool and how I can use it? So far ive been trying and failed