Author Topic: Is it possible to query / update the database directly?  (Read 2782 times)

aldredd

As per the title, is it possible to connect to the database externally and query it?

(I want to mass update some fields based on a file I exported from my previous player - I'm no developer, so creating an add-in is out of my depth, but know what I'm doing with databases & SQL)
thanks!

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You can accomplish this kind of mass editing with the additional tagging & reporting tools plugin, if you can turn your existing data into a text file.  Look around for redwings guide to tagging from a text file, it's here and on the wiki.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

aldredd

Thanks, the file can be saved as a text file so I'll take a look at that guide, thanks - but if that updates the tag, can I then use the tag to update the database itself? It's actually playcount and optionally the last played fields I want to update.

thanks again

Edit: Found a guide for doing something similar with foobar - going to see if I can get the tag-->play_count to work that way!
Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 01:22:31 PM by aldredd

aldredd

Ok, think I've managed it!
Used the tag manager addin to add the play count to the file, then had MB save the library as an XML file before re-importing that xml file with the playcounts! Worked so well I was able to do the same with Last Played Date.
Some tracks got missed along the way, but 80%+ got updated, which is good enough for me!

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Glad you've had success!
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)