Author Topic: Proposed (optional) changes for simplified layout  (Read 113619 times)

redwing

Upon reading the reactions from just a small number of users, it strikes me that there are some confusions regarding what would be optional and not. As far as I understand, while hiding header bar & status bar in the first post was suggested as an optional layout, the second proposal was discussing possibly non-optional layout (that's why I requested the option of tabs in caption bar). Of course, things are still under discussion, but it would lead to more constructive discussion to make it clear about what's optional and not when proposed.

Steven

• Administrator
loss of vertical/caption bar  tabs

loss of custom toolbar buttons/icons
you wouldnt loose the custom toolbar - there is plenty of space for that in the proposal
if the tabs were in the caption bar or vertical, there would be a large blank space where the tabs in the screenshot are

i havent decided anything and am just experimenting
Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 07:18:40 AM by Steven

redwing

Here's an idea.

- Combine location bar and search box into one like Chrome
- Tabs starting next to search box like Internet Explorer
- The width of each tab is shorter than now
- Now playing header is gone
- With an option of "tabs in caption bar" selected, only tabs are moving to caption bar

Alumni

This is my idea... move the "configure layout" drop down menu icon to the main panel "header bar" next to the zoom settings.
Move the "search bar" to the "caption bar", displayed when pressing the menu button, similar to the Windows start menu.
Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 09:29:42 AM by Alumni

Steven

• Administrator
i like redwings suggestion for the search box being used also for the location bar. Here is how i am thinking the 3 tab bar layouts would work.
However i dont know how well the bottom two layouts will work with some skins (no existing setting for the icon colours in the caption bar)  or for unskinned caption bars. In all cases custom icons would be displayed by the panel layout button as now. Additionally the bottom 2 layouts dont show the playlist duration.
For the status bar i am thinking of leaving it but only showing the buttons when the mouse passes over the status bar - the text would always display

Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 09:17:52 PM by Steven

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I really like these!  I'd definitely use the second one.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Steven

• Administrator
a problem is going to be that all the 3 layouts above are using tabs or icons on a new background and for some of the skins that is not going to work well.
So perhaps i will leave things are they are now but if the skin has an indicator it supports the new layouts then the new layout would be used.
The only thing then would be its becoming a bit overwhelming supporting all the combinations of layouts, so i might only add the new support for the 2nd layout.

ma_t14

Really like the 2nd one as well. I think though that the button that changes views should be static on the right, meaning it should not keep getting "pushed" as more tabs are added.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
a problem is going to be that all the 3 layouts above are using tabs or icons on a new background and for some of the skins that is not going to work well.

I think it may be a necessary evil to retire skins that aren't currently maintained, when backwards compatibility with all skins becomes an obstacle to making significant and otherwise positive changes.  If there are skins that are especially popular which wouldn't work with a new layout, perhaps some of the current skins authors could adopt them.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

redwing

Some more suggestions when applied to tabs in caption bar layout:

- Back/forward buttons on the leftmost position to be consistent
- Current location is displayed in search box
- Refresh button is always visible
- Chrome-like menu icon on the rightmost position replaces MB menu button

psychoadept

• Global Moderator

- Back/forward buttons on the leftmost position to be consistent
- Current location is displayed in search box
- Refresh button is always visible
- Chrome-like menu icon on the rightmost position replaces MB menu button

I think it's fine to leave the menu on the left, but maybe reduce it to just the bee?

Refresh button +1.  This is totally unrelated to the proposed changes, though.  I just find that I click too quickly and end up activating the address bar rather than refreshing as desire.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

SimonBRT

- Back/forward buttons on the leftmost position to be consistent +1
- Current location is displayed in search box +1
- Refresh button is always visible -1 How often does MB really need refreshing?
- Chrome-like menu icon on the rightmost position replaces MB menu button +1 Great idea

Steven

• Administrator
just regarding the refresh button, you can already set up a custom tool button for that if its something you use a lot. I agree that the current implementation is not ideal

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
just regarding the refresh button, you can already set up a custom tool button for that if its something you use a lot. I agree that the current implementation is not ideal

That's a good point.  Totally random thought, but what if the refresh button were turned into a custom button that was already active at installation, sort of like the sort artist custom tags? That would serve to draw attention to the feature, but allow it to be gotten rid of if not wanted.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)