Author Topic: Select multiple playlists and playlist folders  (Read 6280 times)

redwing

Would be great if it's possible to select multiple playlists and playlist folders to delete, move, or re-organize multiple playlists and folders.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
+1
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Zak

• Global Moderator
You could do this in the MB playlists folder in Windows Explorer...
Bee excellent to each other...

redwing

Hey Zak, no offense but sometimes I'm wondering why you bother to use MB when your Windows comes with WMP.
Not only this but lots of existing MB features can be done with some kind of Windows tools. Think about why they were implemented.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator

This has come up several times before, and yes, you can.  It's a kludge, though.  The point is that it would be more user-friendly to be able to do it within MB.

Actually, what I really wish we could do is edit multiple auto-playlists at once, sort of like you can do with tags in Tag Inspector, so you could add a rule to several playlists without changing their other rules.  For instance, I have seven playlists for billboard charts, and the only difference between them is the years covered (one for each decade).  If I decide I want to add a rule to these playlists, I have to do it one at a time.  But that seems like a much taller order than just deleting and moving at once.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

redwing

Actually, what I really wish we could do is edit multiple auto-playlists at once

Probably that could be tough to implement, given the complexity of rules. An easier alternative is to add "Duplicate playlist" command as a right-click menu item. Currently I use Windows Explorer to make a copy of an existing playlist and press F5 to show it up under playlist node. If such a new command was added, then you could edit one of those playlists, make several copies of it, and only need to change decades rule for each.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Probably that could be tough to implement, given the complexity of rules. An easier alternative is to add "Duplicate playlist" command as a right-click menu item. Currently I use Windows Explorer to make a copy of an existing playlist and press F5 to show it up under playlist node. If such a new command was added, then you could edit one of those playlists, make several copies of it, and only need to change decades rule for each.

Changing the decade rules for each is at least as much work as adding a new rule to each, really.  If you're creating new playlists, duplicating them in Windows works well.  It doesn't work well for making changes later unless they're really big changes.  But I agree with the need for a duplicate playlist command in MB.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Zak

• Global Moderator

Hey Zak, no offense but sometimes I'm wondering why you bother to use MB when your Windows comes with WMP.
Trailing ellipsis was deliberate, but WTF does WMP have to do with anything?  ::)

The reason I keep suggesting users think outside the MusicBee box is because people keep asking Steven to add new "features" to MusicBee when a perfectly good working alternative already exists. Isn't it better to see development (and debugging) time spent on things that:
* aren't currently possible
* add to the MusicBee experience (like the recent expandable artwork view), or
* allow something to be done more intuitively or efficiently?

If Steven added a new screen for reorganising playlists and folders it's only going to be a scaled down version of Windows Explorer showing the playlists folder. Just because that screen would have a MusicBee skin doesn't magically make it "better" at moving, renaming and deleting files. It wouldn't be as pretty, but just as effective would be a new command "Open MusicBee playlists folder in Explorer" which could be implemented in about two minutes.

Not only this but lots of existing MB features can be done with some kind of Windows tools. Think about why they were implemented.
Sure, and as long as those other tools do a better job than MusicBee there's a good reason to keep using them.

mp3Tag is better at mass tagging than MB, Exact Audio Copy is more robust at ripping than MB, and yes, Windows Explorer is better at managing files, because the developers of those programs don't have to spend time implementing new ways of viewing tracks or trying to work out why some tracks don't play properly on one user's PC when the hamster hooked up to his generator is too tired to run on his wheel.

There's no reason MusicBee has to operate in its own little sandbox musical wonderland when using MusicBee together with other tools is better than MusicBee on its own.

tl;dr:
Bee excellent to each other...

redwing

If Steven added a new screen for reorganising playlists and folders it's only going to be a scaled down version of Windows Explorer showing the playlists folder. Just because that screen would have a MusicBee skin doesn't magically make it "better" at moving, renaming and deleting files.

What screen are you talking about? The request is simply to add an ability to select multiple playlists and folders. And you think it would be the same as using Windows Explorer? Does Windows Explorer give you right-click menu item of "Remove duplicates" and "Remove dead links"? Say you have 100 playlists to run those commands, and you would still want to run them 100 times rather than running once with this new feature?

Steven

• Administrator
for the next v2.4 update i have added a copy playlist command

hiccup

Would be great if it's possible to select multiple playlists and playlist folders to delete, move, or re-organize multiple playlists and folders.

+1

@Zak,
It has been proven for a long time that Steven is more than capable to decide himself on what to spend his precious time on.
With your attitude of mind there would not have been this very good cd-ripper functionality in MusicBee that Steven has spend so much time on, and is appreciated and used by many.
With your attitude of mind the fantastic tagging features of MB that Steven has spend so much time on, and is one of the strongest features of MB would never have been accomplished or been at the current level.
Of course everybody is perfectly free to use any additional tools or software. (which I do also)
But please don't think for others and assume that your way of working and (often negative) thinking is the golden standard for others too.

redwing