Author Topic: VST Effects Plugin  (Read 125826 times)

sveakul

Un4seen has made a Final release version of the updated bass_vst.dll,  "a merging of the two BASS_VST branches, with some new features and fixes added too."  Version 2.4.1, dated 8/23/2019, now available here:

http://www.un4seen.com/download.php?z/5/bass_vst24

VST users, it would be appreciated if you could test this version with MusicBee as I will be doing and post your results here.  Be sure that you are using the newest version of Steven's VST host plugin mb_VST.dll (July  8, 2019) from the Plugins site here: https://getmusicbee.com/addons/plugins/16/vst-effects-support/

Regis

Hi everybody,
I have a brand new mb3.3 latest download installed on win10.
I have installed the Ozone8 VST plugin. 2 dlls iOzoneelements and ozone elements) in the standard steinberg directory.
Added the mb_VST.dll in the plugins directory. My C++ runtime is at a higher level than the one suggested in the mb plugins page, so I did not install the runtimle linked from the mb plugins page.

The VST plugin does not appear in the DSP/EQ window.

Tried to put the ozone dlls in another directory and modified the mb preference accordingly...without success.

Replaced the mb_bass.dll with the un4seen new one, without success.

Stopped/restarted mb for all tests...

Any clue ?

Thank you. Regis.

hiccup

Maybe I am missing something here, but isn't Ozone 8 a software suite?
If that's the case, just copying some dll from it wouldn't seem likely to work?

Regis

I succeeded to make the Ozone VST plugin to run with foobar, putting the right dlls and foobar extensions in the right places....but I prefer mb ;O) and would like to get rid of foobar.

hiccup

That's surely interesting.
But still, Ozone 8 is a suite isn't it?:

"Mastering Software Suite with 12 Modules, Tonal Balance Control, Neutron 2 Advanced Integration, Spectral Shaper, Master Assistant, Intelligent Track Referencing, and Redesigned Interface - Mac/PC AAX Native, AudioSuite, RTAS, VST2, VST3, and Audio Units."

Did you get all modules to work under foobar2000?
And there is only one dll that made this work?

sveakul

I succeeded to make the Ozone VST plugin to run with foobar, putting the right dlls and foobar extensions in the right places....but I prefer mb ;O) and would like to get rid of foobar.

Regis:  you NEED to install the Visual C++ 2010 runtime for the mb_vst.dll host to run.  The VCs are not downwards-compatible for many applications written specifically for specific versions.  I need 2008, 2010, 2013, and 2017 installed for all the applications I use to run properly.

The latest bass_vst.dll (2.4.1) is now included in the latest MusicBee 3.3 update patch (https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee33_Patched.zip) so there is no need to get it from un4seen at this time.  Be sure to extract all the files in the patch into your MusicBee directory, allowing them to overwrite existing ones.

The MusicBee VST host in my experience is much more stable than the two unmaintained ones for Foobar.  That said, there are no guarantees every VST plugin will be able to run properly in it.  Let us know how things go after installing the 2010 runtime.

sveakul

...and after installing the VC++ 2010 runtime and placing mb_vst.dll in your Plugins directory, be sure that in Preferences/Plugins that "vst host" shows up and is enabled, and that you have correctly specified the path to where the VST plugins are located in the "source folder for the VST plugins" path box.

Regis

Thank's very much  !!
I'll test and feedback.
No pb wit the VST plugins location, I wil use the default one.  vst host shows up and is enabled.
So the test will be to install the C++ runtime linked from the mb vst page. I will remove the un4seen dll and come back to my installation dll, then I will unpack and install the patched zip files,
Then I will cross my fingers...and expect the magic to take place !

Regis

GOOD NEWS !!!
I had an uplevel C++ 2010 runtime. I uninstalled it (I don't think I run any application which requires this runtime at this specific level), then I installed the C++ 2010 runtime linked from the mb VST plugin page.
Then I included the updated zip files into the mb directory...
tic tac tic tac...

AND IT WORKS ! at least the plugin appears, requires me to authorise it with my accreditations, so do I...and the parametric equalizer appears successfully ! First tests are VERY encouraging.

To answer your question about the Ozone suite, I'm only interested in their parametric equalizer plugin. They offered a free V8 license just before they upgraded to V9. Adding this functionnality to MB adds real value to me. I'm part of the tellementnomade French community. I'll feedback to them also.

Thank's again.
I'll feedback to tell if it is fully working (according to my requirements).
PS: please be kind with my english writing...I'm French...

sveakul

Glad to hear you had success!  Just wanted to mention that there was no need to uninstall the later VC redist before you installed the 2010 version.  All of the C++ runtimes co-exist just fine on the same computer;  there are 4 currently installed on mine.

Another free parametric equalizer VST I know works with MusicBee you may want to try is the TDR Nova (https://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-nova/).

Regis

I'll have a look at TDR Nova, thank's.
Regarding the C++ runtime, must be my English but I tried to say that I had a C++ 2010 runtime already and this runtime was at a upper level than the one MB uses. I also have multiple C++ runtimes, but Windows does not allow multiple maintenance levels for the same runtime (Windows installer rejected the 2010 backlevel runtime installation). My conclusion is that the 2010 runtime level I had is not compatible with the 2010 runtime level required by MB.
And Iconfirm that it works nicelly.

Regis

More feedback:
I have tested the TDR plugin (the 4 bands free version) which works nicelly both settings and listening.
I have tested the QRange plugin which works nicelly both settings and listening.

BUT the Ozone plugin is not fully working:
   the settings is working nicelly (window opens and I can set any of the Ozone option)
   the listening is NOT working nicelly. Thre sound is hashed (I don't know how to describe it in English), meaning I recognize the song, one or 2 seconds seem to be ok, then it is saturated with cracks for one or 2 second, then it is ok, then saturated, and so and so. Like waves of problem coming with the music.
This happens even if I don't set anything within Ozone, just have it selected in the VST plugin section.
I tried ASIO4ALL, WASAPI shared and exclusive mode and Directsound MB settings with the same result (the worst being with ASIO). Also tried to increase buffer sizes (I have enough ram).
Any clue ?
Thank's !

sveakul

Be sure you're using a 32-bit plugin, not 64-bit.  Also, and hopefully Steven can clarify on this, I don't think the MusicBee host is fully compatible with VST3 plugins.  I know the Nova is VST2, as are the others I've used successfully.  Have you tried other 32-bit VST3 plugins?  Same problem happen?

Regis

Double checked:
Removed the dlls from the Steinberg Plugins directory.
reinstalled the Ozone plugin with a custom install, selected VST2 only plugin. Used the dlls installed in the 32 bits (x86) programs directory.
Restarted MB.
Same result.
I'll try the VST3 ones, just in case...

Regis

VST3 plugin does not load. I get an error message when MB scans the plugins directory telling about missing files.