Author Topic: How can I more specifically tag the realease date of an album?  (Read 3280 times)

Folie A Deux

I'm trying to tag Real Friends' discography, but the problem is that they have multiple releases in the same year, and so it defaults to sorting them by album name. Is there a way to sort it by month without putting the month in the Year tag?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Welcome to the forum!

You would need to create a custom tag for month and use it in your sort order.  Probably easier to put the full date in Year.  If you don't want to see the whole date, you can display the YYYY tag instead for display purposes.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest patches (3.5/3.6)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Nick

I know you said you didn't want to put the month/day in the year tag, but that's really the easiest way to do it without custom tags.

Using The Beatles as an example, I have the album "Please Please Me" with 1963-03-22 written in the year field. "With The Beatles" is tagged 1963-11-22. Now sort tracks by "Album Artist / Year / Album" (a default setting). Presto! Albums released in the same year now appear chronologically. As scampbll said, if you don't want the month/day cluttering up the displayed date, you can change it to display <Year (yyyy)>.

Folie A Deux

Welcome to the forum!

You would need to create a custom tag for month and use it in your sort order.  Probably easier to put the full date in Year.  If you don't want to see the whole date, you can display the YYYY tag instead for display purposes.

How exactly do I set it to only display the year in the tag?

redwing

Use <Year (yyyy)> tag, instead of <Year> tag, from "Other fields" (right click on column header of the main panel).