Author Topic: Drop-Down Column Browser  (Read 6832 times)

Joshua

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/935x499q90/844/861g.jpg

Better solution.

Update:

In the example mock-up, the button isn't opening the column browser and subsequently pushing the main panel down, it is overlapping the main panel. moving you're cursor off the column browser menu would cause the column browser to auto-collapse. [Concerned there was some confusion as to what I meant.]
Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 07:48:30 AM by Joshua

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
Better solution.

I think your first idea was better.
You can achieve a very similar solution already buy assigning 'View: Show Column Browser' hotkey to a toolbar button.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Joshua

Actually I have tried that, when you use you're hot key to hide the column browser again, you lose you're filter.

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8849 P
Yeah.  I know   :'(

That's why it was only "similar", not an exact solution   :(
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Joshua

All right. Well in this new solution of mine, you do not have to change the working order of columns, as ma_t14 said, and you do not have to have the additional row of columns hovering above the main panel all the time (looks cleaner). So it is better with these in mind, do you agree?

redwing

+1 for the main idea.

Basically it would, by allowing to hide column browser item list, help users to use the limited vertical space on a widescreen display a lot more efficiently.

Here are a few suggestions from me:

- When hidden (not closed), it should look like this.

By displaying two rows (column header and currently selected items) of column browser, the user can be always aware of the currently applied filters and change them easily.

- Double-clicking on column header would toggle to show/hide (not open/close) column browser.

- Clicking on each selected item area would pop out the item list of each column and let the user change the selection.

- All other functionality would remain the same.

Joshua

I'd still be happy with Red Wing's solutions. But I think my new solution looks neater. So either way.

Joshua

Also, a vertical arrangement is possible too, like you can have with the tabs (suggested by Beeliever). So it saves horizontal space as well.