Author Topic: Simplify static playlist settings  (Read 3196 times)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
A tangent from here: http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=17758.msg108415#msg108415

"Display using view" "locks" the playlist to that view - if you change the default playlists view using another playlist MB wont update the "locked" playlist. The reason i put it in quotes is because you can change the locked view via the main panel but it will only affect that playlist

Since you can change views in the main panel even if the view is "locked", I think you could simplify and clarify these settings a lot.  There are really only four possible permutations of "displayed fields" and "display using view":

*Default/Default
*Custom/Default
*Default/Independent
*Custom/Independent

So instead of having "displayed fields" and "display using view" as separate settings, you can turn it into one setting:

*Sync all view setting with other static playlists ("default view")
*Sync view but not fields/columns
*Use shared view/columns but choose view separately
*Don't sync any view settings with other playlists

I think that would vastly reduce unexpected results for playlist view changes.  All actual view changes would be done in the main panel, and the user could see in the settings exactly how it will affect other playlists.

I really think you could reduce it to just the first and last options.  If you're using custom fields, surely you don't want the whole view to change either (option 2)? And option 3 leads to "hidden" changes to views that are not in use for a particular playlist.

Added: seems like an analogous change for Auto-Playlists would be even simpler.
Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 07:48:02 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

redwing

I don't see what benefits the proposed settings could bring to the current settings except it would make things look more complicated.

The only thing I think missing with regard to playlist fields/view setting is there's no easy way to tell whether an auto-playist is a default-field or custom-field playlist. How about adding "Reset to use default fields" setting to auto-playlist edit pane? If an auto-playlist is a default-field one, the setting should be disabled (with ticked box). If it's a custom-field one, then the user could easily turn it back to a default-field playlist by ticking the setting.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I don't see what benefits the proposed settings could bring to the current settings except it would make things look more complicated.

One setting with clearly stated effects is more complicated than two settings that don't explain what they really do?  I've used MB for over three years and I only now figured out how these settings really work and why my playlists kept changing views unexpectedly.

The only thing I think missing with regard to playlist fields/view setting is there's no easy way to tell whether an auto-playist is a default-field or custom-field playlist. How about adding "Reset to use default fields" setting to auto-playlist edit pane? If an auto-playlist is a default-field one, the setting should be disabled (with ticked box). If it's a custom-field one, then the user could easily turn it back to a default-field playlist by ticking the setting.

I agree, an easy way to tell whether a playlist is set to Default or something else would be helpful.  Maybe a tooltip, if not a menu setting like you suggest.  (The suggested new setting could also possibly go in the context menu.)
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

redwing

One setting with clearly stated effects is more complicated than two settings that don't explain what they really do?

To me it would be really confusing what each of those proposed settings means when combined with a selected view. Also do not be confused by effects of a specific set of settings on other playlists with settings to define a playlist's fields/view.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Also do not be confused by effects of a specific set of settings on other playlists with settings to define a playlist's fields/view.

Can you rephrase that?  I don't understand what you mean.

To me it would be really confusing what each of those proposed settings means when combined with a selected view.

Can we come up with better phrasing?  It's not any clearer for a new user as it is.
Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 06:32:51 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

redwing

If you mix defining settings with its effects, it would only make things more confusing and complicated. That's what I meant.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
If you mix defining settings with its effects, it would only make things more confusing and complicated. That's what I meant.

I see.  What I'm proposing would totally separate the two; right now defining the settings and determining the effects are all mixed up (if you change the "display as view" setting, it not only changes the view but it changes what effect changing the view for that playlist has in the future - and it changes whether the "displayed fields" setting even has an effect).  What I'm proposing would mean that all settings are defined in the main panel and the effects of those settings are defined in the playlist settings.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Updated original post per conversation with redwing in another thread.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

alec.tron

I haven't read each post (bit in a hurry atm, sorry)...
But, just to throw it in here - an option for this (and a topic close to my needs) - why not manage this through a (or 2) lock symbols in each playlist entry (either in navigator, or playlist manager, or both...) ? i.e. one view/layout lock (if OFF - it takes on the global view settings, if ON, this is derived from its own playlist relative layout/view setting (assuming this is what  *Default/Independent and *Custom/Independent settings are...)  - potentially with a right-click option, configurable through the lock button itself - similar to Photoshop layer settings), and one lock to lock the contents of the playlist to make them uneditable.
Just a spontaneous thought skimming over the posts in here.
c.