Author Topic: Advice on NAS usage... wifi specifically  (Read 12034 times)

Mr. Trev

A further update....

It seems that one of the things that has been causing some problems is that when the NAS goes into sleep mode, MB won't always wake it up when I launch. Of course this makes MB think my library is missing, which means I have to relaunch and completely rescan all over again (which takes forever, still not sure why). As long as the NAS is active before I launch MB things will run smoothly - again except for the slow scan for new files (I still need to manually drag n drop files in my inbox)

Alumni

A further update....

It seems that one of the things that has been causing some problems is that when the NAS goes into sleep mode, MB won't always wake it up when I launch. Of course this makes MB think my library is missing, which means I have to relaunch and completely rescan all over again (which takes forever, still not sure why). As long as the NAS is active before I launch MB things will run smoothly - again except for the slow scan for new files (I still need to manually drag n drop files in my inbox)

Perhaps you could write a batch file script that wakes up the NAS and then after a delay launches MusicBee.
It's not a perfect solution but it might help.

Steven

• Administrator
there is a windows API call MB could use to test the power state - i will try something for the weekend but i wont be able to test it myself so will need someone to do that

so_la_la

I have a Synology 112j and one reason for getting this device over WD was that WD had various speed issues. On the other hand, WD is cheaper; mine was Eur 230 incl HD over a year ago.
I have the MB library on my notebook and only the files on my NAS. I have zero speed issues when playing tracks, only rescanning the library, big renaming tasks or syncing a device (plugged to my Notebook through usb) is slow.
However, I have posted issues here http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=12505.msg75833#msg75833 and here http://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=10925.msg66449#msg66449.
Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 01:16:21 PM by so_la_la
Music Bee 3; EAC; MP3Tag; Music on Synology NAS 115; Logitech Media Server on RPI 3; RPI 2 with Hifiberry; Poweramp for Android/Lineage

Mr. Trev

@ Steven... I could give it a try if it's not too complicated (I'm pretty clueless when it comes to the inner workings of PCs).

I went with the WD because it's more or less idiot-proof to set up. Just don't have the patience to learn all the stuff needed for a "proper" NAS setup. Plus I only have 1 PC to access it so I really don't need any extravagant functionality. In hindsight I probably would've been better off just getting another external HD. My streaming speed has been awesome on the other hand, can even stream hi-res files over wi-fi without dropouts. I guess that slows scans/updates are just going to be the nature of the beast. Most of the time I will do my file transfers to the NAS before I even launch MB so that ensures the it will be active, and often MB will wake it up before it decides the files are missing (takes a while though).

I'm thinking maybe I could just disable sleep mode entirely, but not if it means the HD will end up spinning 24/7. I still have to look into that further.

Steven

• Administrator
i had a look at detecting when a disc is suspended. I can get it working for a local physical disc/ or a USB drive but cant seem to get it working with a network share so unfortunately it doesnt look like i can automate a solution.
However i dont think you need to rescan your files. If MB detects the drive is not ready then as you will have seen it will mark the files are not accessible. If you untick "check for updated files" and "remove dead links" in the library preferences then MB wont do this check on startup (i expect it would also be quite slow to do this check over your network connection).
Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 07:38:21 PM by Steven

Mr. Trev

I had a look at my prefs, and I did have "check for updated files" deselected, but "remove dead links" was selected. I have them both turned off now, and will see how it goes. The other day after MB couldn't find the files, and I relaunched I ended up looking at the splash screen for ~45 min. before I could use the program. I assume this is because MB is rescanning?