Author Topic: Save (BACKUP) Stars Ratings ?!  (Read 3242 times)

Exetreezz

Hi!
I recently find out about MusicBee and I started using it ESPECIALLY for its "Star Rating" options!
I rated with stars some music files and windows 7 explorer "sees" them all!
My question for you is this one (I searched here but I couldn't find a good answer):

Let's say that somehow (by accident or not) I loose all my rating stars from all mp3 files!
Is there a way to BACKUP (save) all the star ratings made with MusicBee in a different folder/file, so I would be able to restore them when I need them, please?!
I am not interested in backup the mp3 files or other Tags, but ONLY the star ratings!

Thank you so much!  :)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Since the ratings are saved in the files, the only way you might lose them all is if you selected all files and edited the rating.  And in an emergency, MusicBee has an undo command for tag changes that will revert whatever the last change you made was.

It's always a good idea to back up your library, though.  I had a hard drive die a few months ago, and even a two month old backup was out of date.  But at least I had it.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Exetreezz

So...there is NO WAY to backup somehow ONLY the rating stars, right?

Pingaware

So...there is NO WAY to backup somehow ONLY the rating stars, right?

Short answer: No. And there won't be in any program that uses typical IDV2.3 ratings. They're an intrinsic part of the file.

Long answer: You could generate a report based on ratings, using the Advanced Tagging & Tools plugin, that would allow you to save all your ratings to a file. This might then be importable somehow, but I'm not sure about that. At the very least, you could manually re-rate all your files as they had been rated before quite easily.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.