Author Topic: custom/virtual tag for parent directory of mp3file  (Read 2978 times)

ben.

hey guys,
first of all, i am very happy to have found such a nice mp3player like musicbee :) after using winamp for ages.
i wanted to ask you guys, if its possible to make a custom tag, or virtual tag (i dont know the difference) which is showing the parent directory of my mp3file.
i am sorting my music collection after labels, like c:\music\labels\a_special_label\Artist-Album\01_trackname.mp3 and i would like to make musicbee showing me that "special_label" for every mp3 in my musicbee library :)

thanks in advance

redwing

i am sorting my music collection after labels, like c:\music\labels\a_special_label\Artist-Album\01_trackname.mp3 and i would like to make musicbee showing me that "special_label" for every mp3 in my musicbee library

Create the following virtual tag and add the column to the main panel.

Label (or any other field name of your choice) = $Split(<Path>,\,4)

For creating and using virtual tags: http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Virtual_Tags

ben.

thx for your fast reply.
but that just works out if the library is scanned from one "sourcepath"..
shouldnt it be counted backwards?

redwing

If you want to have it counted backwards, use $RSplit function instead.

With your original example,

$RSplit(<Path>,\,3)

should work.

Now I believe you got the idea and could modify the formula according to your folder structure.

redwing

One more thing. $RSplit function was added to v2.4 so you will need to update your MB if you are running an older version.

http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V2_4/MusicBee_Exe_Patched.zip

Unzip and overwrite everything to your MB program folder.

ben.

thx. works out after patching ;)
Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 06:01:54 PM by ben.

Zak

• Global Moderator
custom tag, or virtual tag (i dont know the difference)
A custom tag behaves the same as any standard tag like Artist or Album. You can assign it a value and it gets stored in the file or the database depending on how you set it up.

A virtual tag isn't stored anywhere - it's only "calculated" when it needs to be used. I think there's an old thread where people listed some of the virtual tags they were using.
Bee excellent to each other...