Author Topic: Copy just a playlist to a mobile device?  (Read 5110 times)

galactica12

As the title says, is it possible to just copy over a playlist you've built in MusicBee? Any time I attempt to just move the .m3u file over, I get a blank playlist on my GS3, but when I sync my main playlist through the sync feature, it works just fine. And if I just try to sync both playlists, I get duplicate songs all over the place, did anyone know a better way to sync this other playlist? Thanks in advance!

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Do you have the option to make a folder for each playlist checked?  That might be why you're getting duplicates.  Otherwise, checking them both in the Auto-Sync settings window should work fine.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

galactica12

I apologize if I'm misunderstanding the question, but it doesn't seem there is an option to make a separate folder for each. If it did, wouldn't it just copy over the songs I already had on the device? All of the songs on this separate playlist i'm attempting to add are already on the device, if that helps. As for the auto-sync, it would start to just sync all of the songs on said playlist we're trying to get on there, duplicating pretty much half of my music library. If there's anything else you need to know to help, just let me know and I'll provide it. Thanks again.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I'm talking about the "create a sub-folder" option here: http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/File:Preferences_Device_Settings.png

If duplicates are being created (that you can find in Windows Explorer), the first thing I suggest is deleting all files and resycning (with the new playlist included).  If that doesn't help, take screenshots of what you're doing and post a bug report.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

galactica12

Ah, here we go. It seems like syncing through the phone may have been the issue. I tried syncing everything through the micro-SD and it worked, from what I can tell. Last question here, will I be able to sync just to update files and add new ones from here on then, like normal?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Yes, MB will update files which have a newer modification date on the computer than on the phone, and add new files as needed.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

galactica12

First off, I apologize for breaking so many things, but I'm having a major error now. The previous issue was resolved perfectly due to your solution, but I went to edit one playlist through removing 7 or so songs in one go, and it threw up an error message, crashed to desktop before I could copy the error, and now whenever I access said playlist, the album covers take a very long time to load, and any edit causes it to completely reload the album arts again, very slowly. This is very unlike the other playlists (or my music library) which load almost instantly. I tried deleting the playlist and replacing it with the file that was synced to my phone, but it still has the same problems.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hmm.  What kind of playlist is it, and what format is it in? 
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

galactica12

A plain old playlist, not an auto playlist, nor a playlist mixer. It was, I believe, in the .mbp format, but that must've been corrupted as it isn't in the folder anymore. The m3u from the phone loads the right songs, just absurdly slowly. It re-adds as a .mbp in the same file. I've also tried just copying the contents of the playlist from the phone into a brand new playlist, but it still results in extremely slow loading. I also tried making a completely random playlist with large amounts of songs to see if that'd have issues, but that also loaded just as quickly as before. It's bizarre.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Weird.  I wonder if it's one of the tracks causing the problem.  This may be a Steven problem.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

galactica12

Alright, thanks for the help. Should I pm him this thread?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
First, I suggest scrolling through the whole playlist looking for tracks marked with (!).  I've sometimes had errors generated due to tracks that were moved/deleted on the harddrive but remained in the playlist (and it's possible that by copying everything you included it).

If that doesn't help, the next thing I suggest is to make a new playlist, add a few tracks at a time from the problem playlist, and see when the trouble starts.  If there's a specific track or tracks causing the problem, that will narrow it down.  

Finally, you might be able to find the error you saw in your error log (Help > Support > View Error Log).  Maybe you can ID it by the timestamp.  Steven will probably see this thread, but if you can find the error message and/or ID a specific track, I would say go ahead and post a bug report.  The more details you can give about what caused the error, the better.
Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 07:33:12 AM by scampbll
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

galactica12

Alright, no songs are marked with (!).

The steps I took that caused the issue went in this order: Opened MusicBee, clicked my playlist (as when on mobile I saw my vocal only track had instrumental in it) attempted to delete 8 tracks through the extended art view and that's when I got the flashing error+CTD.

Any view that doesn't use album art seems to load quickly (in that specific playlist).

Seems like regardless of starting from the bottom or top of the playlist with adding songs, it still loads quite slowly. It starts to really lose speed around 5 rows (each row having 8 albums each). This problem consistently gets worse as songs are added.

I'm very happy we have an error log function, I completely spaced checking for that.
http://pastebin.com/BRg1125x
The pastebin has the first error of that timeframe, which I believe was what corrupted/messed up the playlist. All the other errors of that night involved my attempts to reproduce the problem, none had the same effect though. Although un-related, I was able to reproduce another error regarding the new extended view, but that's a  different non-consequential thing.
Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 03:38:14 PM by galactica12

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Ah, if it's related to the new feature, definitely put this stuff in a bug report.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)