Author Topic: how do you listen to your music?  (Read 4424 times)

johnnyboy

First let me say that Musicbee is the reason why I finally changed over from CDs to computer storage. I now have over 16000 songs on my hard drive and enjoy the flexibility and convenience musicbee gives me. However I quickly realized that playing a lifetimes worth of music ( I am 63) through PC speakers even with a bass woofer was just not good enough sound quality wise. How could I get my treasured collection over to my Arcam amp and floor standing speakers. Well I bought for £40 a little streaming device called a Lindy. It streams independent of WiFi and works most of the time OK. But I feel I could get better sound by spending more money on a decent  streamer or DLNA device but I think I'm right in thinking that these devices need to control the organization and playing of the music and won't work with Musicbee. I've tried Musicmonkey which will do the job but is just not up to scratch compared to MB. I'm sure you guys out there are listening to your music on good hifi using MB so what are your methods? I don't think a cable from the PC sound card is a good idea so some method of streaming while still having MB control the playing is what I want.

thanks ;)

johnnyboy

stretch622

I do  amateur DJ for clubs and what I use is an external digital interface, USB to the interface that out puts audio by XLR outputs or RCA plugs to amp or what ever other equipment you are using. Also you can if computer and stereo is equipped do it with a HDMI cable .

johnnyboy

I have looked at redwings link and it appears that has I feared MB does not support dlna. However I think I can do better than the Lindy wireless Dac as I had just seen the NAD DAC 1 on line for £99 down from £300! Anyone have experience of one of these.

so_la_la

I have a NAS with all my music on one of its drives. MB reads from this drive.
My plan is to get a Raspberry Pi plus Hifiberry. The NAS will connect to the RPI, the Hifiberry to the Amplifier.
The whole thing will be controlled through an app on my tablet that will connect to the RPI through WiFi.
It's less then Eur 60 (I have a NAS and a tablet already).
Music Bee 3; EAC; MP3Tag; Music on Synology NAS 115; Logitech Media Server on RPI 3; RPI 2 with Hifiberry; Poweramp for Android/Lineage

johnnyboy

8) I decided that the DLNA option wasn't really that important enough to ditch MB so I looked at an alternative Dac. Bought a NAD DAC 1 for £69 off of ebay. OUTSTANDING! My listening experience has been transformed. The good thing also is that I will be staying with MB, Phew!