Author Topic: Expandable View in the Artwork layout  (Read 111050 times)

Steven

• Administrator
http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V2_4/MusicBee_Exe_Patched.zip

I've included support for an iTunes style "expandable view" in the Artwork layout. When enabled and the artwork panel is grouped by Album, the album tracks display immediately beneath the selected album

Its enabled by default if you dont have the album tracks configured to be displayed on the bottom of the main panel. You can disable this feature in the artwork layout settings if you prefer the existing behavior.
You can configure it to show/ not show Track Rating and a Last.fm Love button by right clicking in the expanded panel

SimonBRT

Great stuff!  Really enjoying this....  Definitely makes artwork view a little quicker to work with.  Looks good too, the colour selection seems to be working well.

Sigma

I think this is pretty awesome! It looks great and is useful too, plus it can be disabled if you don't want to see it.

Here's one idea for an improvement though: -

When you scroll down a list of albums in artwork view, the art always snaps to the top of the screen, so it scrolls by one complete row of albums at a time (which is great). This new feature breaks this though. It works until you scroll down to the expanded album, which snaps to the top of the screen too, like this: -

http://i.imgur.com/4LANqWW.jpg

All good so far, but then when you scroll down again, it still scrolls based on the original row height, not the height of the new expanded section, so you get this: -

http://i.imgur.com/m5sxouO.jpg

And then further scrolls down are obviously out of line too: -

http://i.imgur.com/bWgDwyg.jpg

If you could fix that so it always snaps either the top of the album art or the top of the new expanded view (when necessary) to the top of the screen, it would be perfect!

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
This looks really awesome, Steven!

I remember someone requesting before that it show missing tracks in an album, which I'm sure could be really complicated to implement, and if it's not worth the time I understand. :) But maybe it could work if the MusicBrainz ID for the album is present?  Picard tags that as TXXX/MusicBrainz Album ID.

MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Sigma

Now that I've played around with it a bit more, I'm not sure the scrolling/snapping thing I mentioned above is easy to "fix".

The only other minor criticism I have is that it makes album artwork with light colours look washed out, for example: -

It would be cool if there was an option to disable the automatic colour matching, so that it displays in one set of colours based on the skin you're using.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I'm also back after playing with it more, which has made me even more impressed.  I think this is one of the greatest additions since the new Compact Player.  I love the handling of compilations and feat. artists.  Does it do that by comparing album artist and track artist?

Of course, it's got me thinking of other ways to show info on that line, like performers on specific tracks of a musical theater soundtrack.  But I'm also afraid that adding too many other features would break the beautiful simplicity of this, so maybe not.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Sigma

I love the handling of compilations and feat. artists.  Does it do that by comparing album artist and track artist?
Yeah, it does! I noticed it showed the artist name for one of my single artist albums, so I checked the tags and the artist and album artist fields were different which is why it was displaying the artist name. I agree that it's a cool feature.

Sigma

I have one other bit of feedback to give on this.....

I have the option set so that if I double-click on an album, it starts playing the album.

Let's say that I've clicked on an album and the new expandable view is opened. I can no longer double-click on any album that's below that, because this happens: -

So in the GIF, I have the expandable view open for the Joyce Sims album in the top row. I then try and double-click on the Lillo Thomas album underneath that to play it, except the first click causes the expandable view to open, which then shifts the album art up, so the second click actually clicks on the "Hot Love" track that happens to be where the mouse pointer is.

I'm not sure if there's a good way to address this, but if you can come up with something, that would be great!

mikebo

This already look and works quite nice, although there are some issues:

1. Sometimes the last track is hidden under album art. Right clicking the header will reveal it. Here are some screenshots i took where this happens.

2. Despite having disabled 'direct editing of tags in main panel' i can still rename tracks in expanded view.

3. I think the close button should be placed in the upper right corner for consistency.

Steven

• Administrator
http://musicbee.niblseed.com/V2_4/MusicBee_Exe_Patched.zip

@mikebo, could you try with this version to see if it fixes the layout handling bug
I have also made a change to address the double clicking issue when clicking a picture below an expanded picture

also anyone using an older version from yesterday should update to this version as it fixes a memory leak bug. Also I should mention that there have been quite a lot of under-the-hood changes made to improve memory management with artwork

mikebo

Here's another bug:
1. Double-click an album in the artwork view.
2. Select a different artist from the column/thumbnail browser, but don't select any albums.
3. Skip to the next track in queue and pause.
4. Repeat step 3 a couple of times.
Result:

Steven

• Administrator

mikebo

Yes, that's fixed now too.

Another request i'd like to make is to support dragging multiple tracks from expanded view.

Sigma

I have also made a change to address the double clicking issue when clicking a picture below an expanded picture
Excellent, thanks!

The more I use this, the more I like it.

I did get this random error pop up though: -

MusicBee v2.4.5225.27203 (Win6.2), 22 Apr 2014 19:22:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at #=q73EzinUHlyUg1mPaZFF_Q83iEmOGpzi1j5fwpnZG1s4=.#=qcspqEbWZBU8H8v8wK_u11zsatcGxju4xLrEKio1hBrQ=(Object #=qcRmHHpkJNpCOgcRXFnEieQ==, MouseEventArgs #=qaHWM8HrnRkJ8W2uZtcsQ2g==)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnMouseDown(MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.UserControl.OnMouseDown(MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseDown(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.UserControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
I disabled the new view, right-clicked on an album and that popped up.