Author Topic: Deriving Songname and artist fields from filename  (Read 4233 times)

X

ok so im trying to get my song title and artist field tags filled out using the auto tagging method however im struggling to create a string of tags that will do what i want for eg the filename will look something like this

Artist - Songname (extra things)

im trying to gather the artist and songname from the filename and have it auto tag them into the appropriate categories so far all i get is the songname and (extra things) in the right field but the artist is filled in by the containing folders eg song is in folder xyz therfore artist will be xyz.

Could someone please help me come up with an appropriate tagline and tag settings in the options menu?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Whatever folder path is shown in the screen for Auto-Update from Tags, just enter that literal text in the template string.  For instance, if it's My Music\New Stuff\<Filename>, then enter "My Music\New Stuff\<Artist> - <Title> (<Extra>)" as your template.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

X

Whatever folder path is shown in the screen for Auto-Update from Tags, just enter that literal text in the template string.  For instance, if it's My Music\New Stuff\<Filename>, then enter "My Music\New Stuff\<Artist> - <Title> (<Extra>)" as your template.

So far i have managed to get the correct artist using <Artist> - <Title>,<Filename>,

what could i add to this string so that i may get the title added as well?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Please post a screenshot of the auto-tagging window.  That will help us to see what's going on.

http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Screenshots
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

X

Please post a screenshot of the auto-tagging window.  That will help us to see what's going on.

http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Screenshots

Ok so heres the first screen http://i.imgur.com/6pEK4vJ.png?1 after i hit apply changes it does this http://i.imgur.com/MyrBlmH.png?1 and nothing saves asides from maybe about 10 songs at a time

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
First off, it looks like you have more than one folder there.  I suggest you sort by Path and process one folder at a time.

Based on the images and my own experiments, the template should be:

<Artist> - <Title>

You will have to deal with the info in parentheses after the title has been separated.  The Additional Tagging Tools plugin would be helpful with that.

I'm not sure what the error means, but if you're still getting it after trying the template above, let us know.

Edit: changed the template because I think it was inaccurate at first.  What is the significance of "SuicideSheep"?  Is that an album name or what?
Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 03:54:41 AM by scampbll
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

X

First off, it looks like you have more than one folder there.  I suggest you sort by Path and process one folder at a time.

Based on the images and my own experiments, the template should be:

<Artist> - <Title>

You will have to deal with the info in parentheses after the title has been separated.  The Additional Tagging Tools plugin would be helpful with that.

I'm not sure what the error means, but if you're still getting it after trying the template above, let us know.

Edit: changed the template because I think it was inaccurate at first.  What is the significance of "SuicideSheep"?  Is that an album name or what?

ok so far ive moved my music files out of the suicidesheep folder into my music folder. i am using the tags you provided but still get the error. now once the error comes up i can either hold enter for an infinite retry which fails everytime or i can hold esc which applies the tags to some files (not many) and not the rest. If i press esc for each individual file after the error pops up it applies the tag but ONLY in musicbee and not to the actual file.

Thanks for your help so fat any further info about this would be great. So far the tags working as intended but not applying itself outside of musicbee.

PS: i have run musicbee in administrator and it has the same effect

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Is it possible some of the files are read only?  Other wise the only thing I can think of is that it's something unique to AAC files.  Hopefully someone else can weigh in who has more expertise.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)