Author Topic: [Solved] Question about sort order (now playing)  (Read 12593 times)

Parallax

Hi,

Just wanted to start off by saying I'm new to using MusicBee, so hopefully this question has an easy answer (I was unable to find a clear answer by searching the forum or in the wiki) :D I'm coming from a long term relationship with Winamp, but I quickly fell for the very visual interface and possibilities of MB - still have a huge amount to learn though.

I'm using version 2.3.5188 with the Compact Player mode as seen here:

- Link to screenshot
(the first column displayed is the Track#)

As you can see from the screenshot, the track order does not show correctly. When I test this multiple times, the tracks shift around (never randomly though; for instance 5-12 followed by 1-4). When I add new music to Now Playing, in this instance a whole album, I usually just drag&drop the items into the "Now Playing" area.

My question is: how can I make sure the sort order in "Now Playing" always appear in order of Track# when I add new tracks? (1 through 12 in this case)

(I have tried setting the Sorting options to Track#, but it does not seem to work properly or I am misunderstanding how it is supposed to work)
Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 06:28:53 PM by Parallax

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Welcome to the forum!

It would be helpful to see the tags in the Tag Editor.  Can you show one of the top ones and one of the bottom ones?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

redwing

Maybe you want to first check how they look in Album & Tracks layout in the main panel. If they are not sorted by track#, then check your Grouping setting under preferences that sets how you define an album.

Parallax

Hi again and thanks for the quick replies - I'm adding some more information before heading off to work :)

Here is a screenshot from the tag editor of the top and bottom tracks:
- Link #1
- Link #2

I am also including various settings:
- Sourting/Grouping
- Shuffle (it doesn't seem to do shuffle in "now playing", but is there an off button?)
- Album&Tracks

Album & Tracks in the Main Panel is the pane that end with a #-menu that has the settings "Keep columns sized to panel" and "Auto size all columns" among other things, is that right? If so, that area is empty, I guess since I use Compact Player with Now Playing directly.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Shuffle is toggled on and off via the button in the player panel, or in the right click menu for the player panel.

I don't think it has anything to do with your compact player settings, but your Album & Track settings don't make much sense.  More info here: http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Album_and_Tracks_View

Rather than using Track# as your sorting criteria, I suggest using the "Album" sorting preset.  It includes Track# in its logic and won't mix up tracks from different albums.  If that doesn't help your sorting problem, I will have to ponder it some more, or wait for someone else to have any idea.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

redwing

Your grouping setting includes Album Artist and Album name, which means your album must have the same album artist and album name to be sorted properly by track #. Check if those tracks have the same album artist, or try removing album artist from grouping setting.

redwing

BTW why did you add Track# as grouping header for your Album & Tracks view? That's doesn't make any sense unless you want to group tracks with their track#.

Parallax

All the tracks does indeed have the same tags for Artist and Album.
Here are my current settings:

- Sorting/Grouping
- Album & Tracks

Sometimes when I change the above settings, I get the following error:
- Error Message

Now that I go into Album & Tracks, the Grouping Header is reset back to "Album Artist"
Even when I am able to change it (to "Album") without error - it doesn't seem to have much effect?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
What happens if you go to the Now Playing List in the main panel (found under Playlists), add Track# (not "#", which is playlist order) as a column, and click to sort it?  Can you post a screenshot of that?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Parallax

Here is the result after I click to sort the track# column (they appear in correct order, but only after sorting manually):

- Main Player screenshot

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
That's helpful, thanks.  In the Now Playing List (as shown), add the # column so that you can see the playlist order, then Right Click > List > Update Play Order Automatically.   That should make the # column match the Track # column.  If it doesn't, sort by Track # again.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Parallax

Here's the new result (with # column and Automatically Update Play Order turned on):
- Main Player: Now Playing screenshot

It shows how it looks with the tracks added initially. If I click to sort by Track# - both column values does match.

redwing

As shown by your last screenshot, your sorting problem has not been fixed yet. Is this album the only exception? In Album & Tracks layout, are other albums sorted properly according to track# (without sorting by it manually)?

If so, try this. Select all tracks in that album, re-enter album name, and save them. Also if you keeping getting the error message, copy the whole message and report it to the bug reports board.

Parallax

It seemed like it, but today I reinstalled MusicBee because of the error I got when updating the settings - just to be on the safe side.

I tested again with a new album and then with the same one. They are both loaded with the tracks in the correct order in the Library Pane (I guess what I might "Library" is actually the Album&Tracks layout).
So that appears correct, but as you can see they are still jumbled when I add them directly to the Now Playing pane.

- Test #1
- Test #2
(note that the # column is gone in the Library Pane, I seem unable to find it again under Other Fields for some reason)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
It seemed like it, but today I reinstalled MusicBee because of the error I got when updating the settings - just to be on the safe side.

I tested again with a new album and then with the same one. They are both loaded with the tracks in the correct order in the Library Pane (I guess what I might "Library" is actually the Album&Tracks layout).
So that appears correct, but as you can see they are still jumbled when I add them directly to the Now Playing pane.

- Test #1
- Test #2
(note that the # column is gone in the Library Pane, I seem unable to find it again under Other Fields for some reason)

There is no # column for library, because the library does not have a play order.  If sorting the Now Playing List by Track # solves the problem, why not just do that?  What is it sorted by in your screenshots?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)