Author Topic: [Solved] Question about sort order (now playing)  (Read 12592 times)

redwing

I have no idea what causes that.

Just make sure,

1. In the main panel (either track details view or album & tracks view), they are sorted correctly by track# without manually sorting by it.
2. But if you select those files and add to now playing list, then they split into two groups and their sort order is changed.

Is this correct? And did you try re-saving their album name with tag editor as I suggested?

Parallax

Yes, I just tried to re-save the album name of the tracks with the tag editor (marked all the tracks, hit edit, and then clicked save).

1. The tracks now sort correctly in Main Panel by track# without manually having to "sort by"
2. The tracks remain out of order when added to Now Playing.

Btw thanks for being patient with my questions/case :)

redwing

Could you post your Now Playing setting under Preferences?

redwing

Nothing special with your settings.

1. How do you add tracks to now playing list?
2. Do all of your albums work the same way or there are some working correctly?

Parallax

1. I basically select all tracks in a folder, then drag&drop them straight into the "Now Playing" field.
(I have my music organized into a folder containing subfolders like this: Artist->Albums->Tracks. Files are usually named "Track Number - Title")

2. I have tested drag&dropping about 15 different albums into "Now Playing". They always sort the same way as in the previous screenshots.
Now I'm wondering: is this by design, or should MusicBee actually be able to sort by track# in Now Playing?

Just testing: when I am in Main Player and I have the Navigator shown; I browse to an album folder, then drag&drop straight from the Library Pane to the Now Playing Pane - the songs does indeed automatically sort the right way.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
1. I basically select all tracks in a folder, then drag&drop them straight into the "Now Playing" field.
(I have my music organized into a folder containing subfolders like this: Artist->Albums->Tracks. Files are usually named "Track Number - Title")

Are you saying you drag & drop files from Windows explorer?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

redwing

That's what I figured. Here's what Steven said about dragging from Windows Explorer.

tracks are drag/dropped in the order they have been selected. In the main panel, if you do the initial selection in one go (eg. clicking on an album picture or using the shift key) then that will be the order the files are displayed. If you do the initial selection from Windows Explorer, then windows has a (what i think) wacky scheme where (if i recall correctly) the ordering starts from the file you are pointing to when you start the drag and wraps the ordering around to the first file.

Then I'd consider your problem's now resolved.

Parallax

That's what I figured. Here's what Steven said about dragging from Windows Explorer.

tracks are drag/dropped in the order they have been selected. In the main panel, if you do the initial selection in one go (eg. clicking on an album picture or using the shift key) then that will be the order the files are displayed. If you do the initial selection from Windows Explorer, then windows has a (what i think) wacky scheme where (if i recall correctly) the ordering starts from the file you are pointing to when you start the drag and wraps the ordering around to the first file.

Then I'd consider your problem's now resolved.
Wow, that's actually it! I wasn't aware of such behaviour, but that is actually very useful to know! ;D
I have tested several times right now - and that makes perfect sense now... I just tested with a few album, and drag&dropped with the mouse over the first tune in an album, and that makes them add correctly to Now Playing.

I feel a bit dumbfounded, but thank you so much for clearing this up!
I have marked the topic as [solved] - now my next step is to donate to help keep this wonderful player alive. <3 MB :)

redwing

Glad it's sorted out! Actually I never tried and saw such behavior either. I learned something too :)