Author Topic: Quick questions about MusicBee  (Read 7206 times)

Dday141

Hey, I'm currently contemplating about switching over my MediaMonkey & iTunes setup I have to MusicBee. But I have a few questions that I can't seem to find the answers for via Google search before I make my move.

- Does MusicBee support playlist folders the same way iTunes does? As in you can create a folder that contains a collection of playlists, and that playlist folder contains all the songs in the collection of playlists currently in the folder.

- Does MusicBee support syncing between Android phones? Or in particular the Samsung Galaxy S4?

- If MusicBee does support syncing, can it also transfer over playcount and ratings?

- Is there a player for MusicBee for mobile phones? Or are there compatible players that I can use instead?

- Does the autoplaylist auto updates after it's been created?

- Can I have two different types of libraries? For example, can I have one library just for music and another just videos which has nothing to do with the other library.

- Can MusicBee auto organize my files based on tags? For instance I want to move files in the path of I:\My Music\Album Artist\Album Artist - Album - Year\01 Track Title

- Is there a way or method MusicBee can transfer over ratings/playcounts from MusicBee to iTunes?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
- Does MusicBee support playlist folders the same way iTunes does? As in you can create a folder that contains a collection of playlists, and that playlist folder contains all the songs in the collection of playlists currently in the folder.

- Does MusicBee support syncing between Android phones? Or in particular the Samsung Galaxy S4?

- If MusicBee does support syncing, can it also transfer over playcount and ratings?

- Can I have two different types of libraries? For example, can I have one library just for music and another just videos which has nothing to do with the other library.

- Can MusicBee auto organize my files based on tags? For instance I want to move files in the path of I:\My Music\Album Artist\Album Artist - Album - Year\01 Track Title

Yes to all except ratings transfer.

- Is there a player for MusicBee for mobile phones? Or are there compatible players that I can use instead?

Most players are compatible.  I personally like GoneMad Music Player (GMMP) because it has lots of options and flexibility like MusicBee: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gonemad.gmmp

I also like their full trial approach.  Sometimes they have $0.99 sales for the unlocker.

- Is there a way or method MusicBee can transfer over ratings/playcounts from MusicBee to iTunes?

I think there is, but someone else can offer better advice on this than I can.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Dday141

Yes to all except ratings transfer.

Most players are compatible.  I personally like GoneMad Music Player (GMMP) because it has lots of options and flexibility like MusicBee: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gonemad.gmmp

I also like their full trial approach.  Sometimes they have $0.99 sales for the unlocker.

I think there is, but someone else can offer better advice on this than I can.
Thanks for the response!
So I'll be able to transfer playcounts from my phone to MusicBee except ratings?

GMMP really does look interesting! But does this player maintain the playlist folder hierachy I would make in MusicBee? Speaking of playlists, does it also support live updating autoplaylists? For instance, if I create an autoplaylist that contains all 5* songs, and while on my phone I rate a song from 5* to 4*, it should automatically and immediately be removed from the playlist. And also can I use this player to sync playcounts and ratings to MusicBee?

My plan is that I'd like to continue using iTunes as my main library and have another media player to use for synching my android phones. So I need a way to transfer over all song metadata (mainly ratings & playcounts) updates to iTunes and all song metadata updates from iTunes to MusicBee.

Thanks again.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Thanks for the response!
So I'll be able to transfer playcounts from my phone to MusicBee except ratings?

I am reasonably sure this true, but you may want to confirm with someone who pays more attention to play counts than I do.

GMMP really does look interesting! But does this player maintain the playlist folder hierachy I would make in MusicBee? Speaking of playlists, does it also support live updating autoplaylists? For instance, if I create an autoplaylist that contains all 5* songs, and while on my phone I rate a song from 5* to 4*, it should automatically and immediately be removed from the playlist. And also can I use this player to sync playcounts and ratings to MusicBee?

GMMP will take any folder structure, as far as I know. I just point it to my top level folders for Music, Audiobooks, and Playlists.  It scans everything in, doesn't move anything.

I haven't used GMMP's autoplaylists. I suggest trying it to see.

As far as I know, the player has no role in transferring play counts and ratings except to update them in the file.

If there does turn out to be an issue with play counts, GMMP supports a last.fm scrobbler and MB can sync play counts from last.fm.

So I need a way to transfer over all song metadata (mainly ratings & playcounts) updates to iTunes and all song metad:ata updates from iTunes to MusicBee.

I can't give you any advice on using it, but MB has an option to save your library as an iTunes XML file as well as the normal database. Maybe that will help?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Dday141

Thanks for the response!

I am reasonably sure this true, but you may want to confirm with someone who pays more attention to play counts than I do.

GMMP will take any folder structure, as far as I know. I just point it to my top level folders for Music, Audiobooks, and Playlists.  It scans everything in, doesn't move anything.

I haven't used GMMP's autoplaylists. I suggest trying it to see.

As far as I know, the player has no role in transferring play counts and ratings except to update them in the file.

If there does turn out to be an issue with play counts, GMMP supports a last.fm scrobbler and MB can sync play counts from last.fm.

So I need a way to transfer over all song metadata (mainly ratings & playcounts) updates to iTunes and all song metad:ata updates from iTunes to MusicBee.

I can't give you any advice on using it, but MB has an option to save your library as an iTunes XML file as well as the normal database. Maybe that will help?

Alright this is sounding great. I was just about to ask if I can just grab my scrobbles from Last.fm as I am a member there as well.

But this iTunes XML does sound really intriguing. Does this mean that MusicBee can read and use my iTunes library? This way iTunes and MusicBee will be sharing and updating the same library file which would be amazing. Or after every update I do with MusicBee I'm going to have to save it as an iTunes XML file to update iTunes library?

I just want to confirm some areas though before I start going about this project now. How does syncing works with GMMP? I've looked across their site and it sounds like it doesn't sync to any media player specifically, instead it just uses the library on your phone's SD card/hard drive. It doesn't sound as if GMMP will sync my autoplaylists from MusicBee. If that's the case then I will have to create my autoplaylists on MusicBee AND GMMP. If so, then I will have more questions. :p

And based on everything I have so far this sounds like what my setup is going to be
-Sync Phone to MusicBee, and use GMMP as my phone media player to keep autoplaylist folder hierachy
-Sync playcounts from lastfm to MusicBee
-Save MusicBee library as an iTunes XML library, replacing it

This sounds far more better than my current setup which is using AirSync. The problem with AirSync is that it has to load my iTunes library everytime it syncs. So it takes about an hour just to load my library. Then it takes even longer to sync my files, which sometimes it skips some. And they're are a few problems with their player as well. Such as no playlist folder hierachy, artwork doesn't load sometimes, doesn't save tagging on metadata, ratings dissapear for some reason. GMMP doesn't look all that pretty, but if it works well I'll use it.

Pingaware

I have to ask, is there a specific reason you want to still use iTunes as your music library software?
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
But this iTunes XML does sound really intriguing. Does this mean that MusicBee can read and use my iTunes library? This way iTunes and MusicBee will be sharing and updating the same library file which would be amazing. Or after every update I do with MusicBee I'm going to have to save it as an iTunes XML file to update iTunes library?

I don't think it's quite that sophisticated.  I think MB just saves a library that iTunes can import.  I think.

How does syncing works with GMMP? I've looked across their site and it sounds like it doesn't sync to any media player specifically, instead it just uses the library on your phone's SD card/hard drive. It doesn't sound as if GMMP will sync my autoplaylists from MusicBee. If that's the case then I will have to create my autoplaylists on MusicBee AND GMMP. If so, then I will have more questions. :p

MusicBee syncs to whatever folder structure you give it, and GMMP will read whatever directories you ask it to.  The programs don't talk to each other directly in any way.  I don't believe you can transfer auto-playlists from one to the other, no (although you can sync MB auto-playlists to your phone as static playlists, which will be updated by MB whenever you sync).  I can't give you any direction on GMMP auto-playlists, sorry.

MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

boroda

I don't think it's quite that sophisticated.  I think MB just saves a library that iTunes can import.  I think
I dont think iTunes can *import* xml file, it seems that it can only export it and *other* players can import it.